Central news 27th Jan 2004 10.30pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central news 27th Jan 2004 10.30pm

I have just seen the worst thing ever on the Birmingham version of the Central News. A council house in Handsworth Birmingham, had a load of tanks in the loft, some open but all just abandoned in the loft. This animal cruelty is disgraceful for the poor tarantulas of which two were still alive. The way this was reported, however should be of great concern to the BTS, as an expert was called to advise the poor couple from a Pet Shop called the OUT OF THIS WORLD Pet Shop who revelled in telling the couple that if they had been bitten he would have been killed in a matter of seconds. And despite only two surviving, I assume because the others starved to death, as the tanks were open, they must have been breeding and they could have spread throughout everybody's loft in the street, albeit different species and with no males in sight! Nice piece of journalism Central!

Complaining

I have complained by clicking on contact newsroom anybody who wants to do the same feel free http://www2.itv.com/carltoncentral/n...etype=Reporter I told them they have missed the real story of negligence by the idiot owner and bad advice!

Comment

This is tipical of the press.Because they know that there are so many people with a phobia towards tarantulas and spiders in genral,they try to sensationalize a story to make it more intresting.What makes better T.V rateings or sells more papers.-"Tarantulas left in attic" or" Deadly Tarantulas left in attic" ?
      An "expert" working in a pet shop? Why is this "expert" not out doing field work?
      Ah but then you didn´t say what for an "expert" he is! Could it be hes an expert at talking (for want of a better word) boll**ks?

Just an idea but I wonder if at the next BTS show,if it would be worth while inviteing a local or national T.V news programe along to explain some of the facts and dispell many myths about tarantulas? On the other hand would we be able to trust them to tell the truth without spiceing it up?

Comment

more of the same

For those interested, here a link to a newspaper report on the same story.
        Updated around the clock with Birmingham news, information, what's on, comment and in-depth coverage of Aston Villa, Birmingham City, West Brom, Warwickshire Cricket Club and other sports

Stephen

Comment

After reading that Stephen the report doesn´t sound quite half as bad as what it was made out to sound
          I´m so glad I didn´t send any "get your facts right" emails to the T.V channel lol.

Comment

Poor keepers

What a terrible thing for the T'rs in the attick, they want to find the B**t***s who did this and lock them in an attick for about six mths, without food or drink see how they get on.

Going on to the reply about getting the T.V. or news people to the show. You know what the head lines would read don't you the next day. PEOPLE IN VILLAGE holding meetings with DEADLY "Tarantulas"

Like the guy said what a load of B******s
            A very kind keeper of T'rs
            (bigred)

Comment

Central TV

Well at least the paper didn't go for the full b*llsh*t approach of Central TV, even though they were not 100% correct. I have not received an email back from Central TV newsroom however! I wonder why? Perhaps they read the local paper and realised what tosh they have been talking!

Comment

Hello,

Very difficult to comment on the tv report as I have not seen it.

The newpaper report was interesting. Particually like the bit about dead tarantula remains in the tanks. Sounds a lot like cast skins to me!!!!!

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

Like I said in my reply to this thread previously I welcome the "expert"contacting me directly as it seems he is in need of educatiuon regading our eight legged friends.

Still I suppose it sells Newspapers and it gave us a break from Jordans bits.

Ray
                  British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                  The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                  On
                  [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Re: Central news 27th Jan 2004 10.30pm

Yeah, one of my mother's friends passed the article on to me...

It did say Frank Webb had some input into it? Though the version I read was severly infested with contradictions in regards to the 'dangers' of these.

Also, on first impressions I was dubious to the 'cannibalism' within the tank: my first thoughts were the "cannibalised remains" were more than likely exuvium debris...

It seems the media thrives and feasts on 'scare stories' such as these; to embelish on what is already classed as a horrific scenario by explaining the "dangers" is a sure 'WIN' for the media...

Just think if they found some grotty puppies up there instead though... ho hum. Animal rights would have a field day with the previous owner, and the puppies in question would become sponsored by some 'Loft Insulation' company, or something of a sub-par intellectual calibre... Banality

Comment

Working...
                    X