Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Tarantula stressed?

Hi all,
    I have had a Chilean rose hair for several months, and recently moved it from one location to another (from my top shelf at home to shelf in dorm), but I haven't changed her cage or anything inside it. For a few days now, she's been trying to climb out of the cage near the corner. She does this over and over, and moves around from one corner of the cage to another. Why is she doing this? I fed her with some crickets a few days ago also. Could this be causing her stress, or is it the location change? I'm kind of worried about it, any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there.

I'm a complete beginner so this may not be of much help but I have read a lot about T's in my research into owning them. I know T's do not like disturbances and are also extremely sensitive to vibration. You mention you have moved from home to a dorm, presumably this is college/university? In which case would it be right to assume you have moved your pet from a relatively quiet environment to a noisy student one with lots of people going in and out, making noise, playing loud music, slamming doors etc etc. (been there, done that!) Do other people have access to your pet when you are not there and unable to supervise them? Maybe a more quiet environment with less intrusive company will help.
    Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Hi warripri510
      There could be several reasons for your tarantulas strange behavour. So here is a small list of things that could be the cause

Has you tarantula molted lately?. If so it may be a mature male and males like to wonder and are constantly climbing about, well more than females etc. Check for hooks on the front pair of legs, and swollen bulbus ends to the pedipalps.

Is the heat souce under the tank? If so you pet may be trying to escape exsessive heat. Heat mats can overheat if trapped under the tank, where there is a lot of substate. (over 10 mm) I think the correct term is thermal blocking. Move this to the side of the tanks and attach a thermostat.

Is your tarantulas tank near a bright light, this may aggitate it, is so move to a different place. Or give it something to hind under.

Draughts! a few of my tarantulas would try and chew there way out of the tank, I found out they where is a slight draught of air and covered the vent for a while this stopped them. I then moved them.

Ok just a few things it may be. Hopefully one of these is near the mark and you can settle your T
      Cheers
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
      X