Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for Australian Tarantulas

Good evening!

Does anyone have some Australian Tarantulas for sale or do you know anyone, who have some??

I hope you can help me.

Cheers Dominik
    Member of:

Vogelspinne e. V.
    Deutsche Arachnologische Gesellschaft e. V.
    Terraristik4U

Hi Dominik,

e.g. Selenocosmia stirlingi has been bred in Europe in the past:
    • GABRIEL, R. (2001): Notes On The Reproductive Ecology Of Phlogiellus stirlingi. British Tarantula Society Journal Vol.16(No.2): 63-65.
    ...but still hard to come by. I know only of very few keepers.

all the best,
    Martin
    »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Thank you for this information. I think I'll look in Hamm. There I have a small chance to get.

Cheers
      Dominik
      Member of:

Vogelspinne e. V.
      Deutsche Arachnologische Gesellschaft e. V.
      Terraristik4U

Comment

Re: I'm looking for Australian Tarantulas

Originally posted by LittleBlueSpiderling
        Good evening!

Does anyone have some Australian Tarantulas for sale or do you know anyone, who have some??
        Hello,
        Soon enough I'll be legally exporting them. Selenocosmia stirlingi are also found outside Australia, they certainly aren't endemic to Australia, if you know a collector in PNG, you might be able to locate them there. The overseas S.stirlingi I've seen so far probably aren't in fact said species, but a smaller, fairly common undescribed species. If they came from Wentworth, NSW then I can be certain of that and I believe this is where they came from (information from Volker Von Wirth regarding Ray Gabriels material).

Ray, maybe you can confirm this??

Cheers,
        Steve Nunn
        Australian Tarantulas website
        http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas

Comment

Re: I'm looking for Australian Tarantulas

Selenocosmia stirlingi are also found outside Australia, they certainly aren't endemic to Australia, if you know a collector in PNG, you might be able to locate them there.
          Cheers,
          Steve Nunn
          Hi Steve,

mhhh, that sounds interesting. I've examined a lot of Theraphosidae Museum Material from Australia and New Guinea but I've never found a Sel. stirlingi related organism in New Guinea. Furthermore I have my doubts that the Australian Sel. stirlingi, which is available here in Europe, really belongs to that Species (Remember what I've told you about the Spines above the Sutur of Coxa of legs and the edge of Carapac, which is probably the case in the Typespecimen of Sel. stirlingi, but which can't be found in the Europe Sel. stirlingi Material).

With all my best Wishes, Volker
          --------------------------------------
          The only relationship you can have with a tarantula is a deep intellectual one! - Jim Friedman -

Comment

Hi Volker,
            I'm a bit surprised you haven't seen any S.stirlingi material from PNG. Raven, Dr Churchill and P.Lawless (former assistant arachnid curator at the QM) have noted them there. I thought they may be plentiful, but perhaps I am incorrect. I am 100% certain though that S.crassipes is endemic to Australia, contrary to popular belief.....

I do indeed remember our conversation re: S.stirlingi and the specimens you examined, this is how I know they aren't true S.stirlingi. What does surprise me is that the specimens came from Wentworth. If you can get your hands on some of the material from around the Cairns area I think you'd have a great time, so many undescribed theraphosids in that area the mind boggles.

Take care,
            Steve

Comment

Hi,

I have a further question: Did you ever see or possess pictures or drawings of the main identification characters (=Stridulating Organ, genitals, scopulation structure and so on) from the Selenocosmia stirlingi Holotype?

Cheers, Volker
              The only relationship you can have with a tarantula is a deep intellectual one! - Jim Friedman -

Comment

I don't think so. I have Mark Kotzman's papers here (I believe you have those too) , and I believe they have some drawings of the spermethecae (but not from the Crown Point holotype). I have seen some drawings of Raven's, but I couldn't say if they were from the holotype either (it was a long time ago).

Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

Hi Steve,

so, how can you have a "picture" of this Species in your mind, if you don't know the characters of the holotype? I mean, in this case we don't really know of what we are talking about. We should always base our opinions concerning the different Species on the characters of the Typematerial!

Just my two Cents,

Cheers, Volker

Comment

Yes, that is why I said "probably". Of course to be certain I'd have to have knowledge of the key characters of the type material and then examine the overseas material for comparison. I believe you have done so (as you told me) and I trust your judgement enough to say "probably"

Cheers,
                    Steve

Comment

Working...
                    X