Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grammastola Spatulata query

Hi,
    I have a 5" Chilean Rose who up until 6 weeks ago was eating well. Since then only 1 cricket (small) has been consumed. The spider looks well and is active, but is laying down massive quantities of silk on the vermiculite flooring (and the glass, the ornaments etc). The spider is very docile and does not flick hairs at all, but the abdomen is becoming shiny under the hairs.
    Any ideas? I am aware that this species can go off food for long periods, but it seems out of character. Why all of the silk suddenly? I was told the spider is female, but cannot confirm this. There is no sign of an impending moult, but the spider has not moulted since I purchased it last July.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark E

I think, your Grammostola rosea will moult till few weeks.
    Member of:

Vogelspinne e. V.
    Deutsche Arachnologische Gesellschaft e. V.
    Terraristik4U

Comment

Sounds like your G.rosea is about to moult...

Comment

If it's wild caught and hasn't moulted in your care, it may be laying an eggsac. Tarantulas sometimes stop fedding a few weeks before dropping eggs. Make sure the spider is undisturbed for few days and it will either moult or lay an eggsac...
        Guy...
        www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for the quick replies. I will leave the spider undisturbed and see what happens. How often should I offer food given the circumstances?
          I am also interested in the naming of this common species. My Stanley Schultz book states Grammastola Spatulata, other books state Grammastola Rosea. Are they both correct?

Regards,
          Mark
          Mark E

Comment

Originally posted by Mark E
            Hi,

Many thanks for the quick replies. I will leave the spider undisturbed and see what happens. How often should I offer food given the circumstances?
            I am also interested in the naming of this common species. My Stanley Schultz book states Grammastola Spatulata, other books state Grammastola Rosea. Are they both correct?

Regards,
            Mark
            I guess in a way they are both right, but from what I've seen Grammostola spatulata is an old name and Grammostola rosea is the current name.

Comment

There are two colorforms of G.rosea. The one was named G.spatulata ond the other G.rosea. Then both was taken together to G.rosea.

I hope everyone can find out, what I meen, because of my ugly English language.
              Member of:

Vogelspinne e. V.
              Deutsche Arachnologische Gesellschaft e. V.
              Terraristik4U

Comment

Chilean Rose

I agree with the others that a moult is coming. A shiny darkened abdomen is a prime sign. If it looks healthy putting in food may do more harm than good - they can happily go a long time without eating but any disturbance during a moult could prove fatal Make sure any uneaten food is promptly removed.

Being new to the hobby I was also confused by the plethora of different scientific names for these T's:-

Grammostola spatulata = G. rosea = Phrixotrichus spatulata = P. roseus

If the boffins can't agree what chance have we got
                Don't tell the elf!

Comment

DonĀ“t quote me on this but I belive it stands like this at the moment-

Grammostola spatulata is now called Grammostola rosea (normal color form)
                  Grammostola cala is now called Grammostola rosea (red colour form)

No doubt they will in the future find even more colour forms of this spec or other Grammostola specs which are synonymous with Grammostola rosea, just to make it even more confuseing lol

Comment

True, G.cala is synonymous with G.rosea, but soon G.cala will be resurrected, it is most definately a species within its own right. The work is under way now. Both the red colour form and the "normal" colourform of G.rosea can emerge from the same egg sac, they are without doubt the same species. The pet trade name of G.cala for the red colour phase G.rosea was from the beginning a mistake.

Raven made a mistake when he synonymised Phrixotrichus with Grammostola in 1985, so Phrixotrichus roseus is now Grammostola rosea also.

Cheers,
                    Steve Nunn
                    Australian Tarantulas website
                    http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas

Comment

Grammastola Rosea - now moulted!

Hi,

Well, you were all correct and the spider moulted yesterday afternoon - strangely to me on it's side! Having extracted itself, it moved onto it's back for a while before righting itself - unfortunately caused by myself retrieving the skin which was separate, but moving the vivarium lid made it turn over. I hope this is not detrimental, and the spider was not touched at any time.
                      The spider is now moving (not seen but it has moved to the back of the viv next to the heat mat), and I hope all is well.
                      The skin is pretty much intact luckily, and I may try to sex it if possible.

Have you any tips on how to look after it post-moult?

Many thanks,
                      Mark

Mark E

Comment

moulting

Its nice to know that your spider has sucessfully shed. The best advice to give is leave her alone. She will be feeling pretty weak at the moment and being unable to fend for herself will become stressed very easily. After a few days she will be back to her old self. Do not offer food to her for the next few days her fangs will still be soft from the moult and crickets have a habit of getting their own back by having a nibble at the defenceless spider.
                        Sit back, relax and wait for her to recover from her ordeal.

Ray Hale
                        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                        On
                        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Grammastola Rosea - post moult

Hi,
                          Thanks for the advice. She appears to going through the stretching exercises now, funnily enough two legs at a time! She is quite large now (5 inches across) and extremely irridescant pink on her carapace. She is hugging the heat-mat wall and is slowly recovering from her ordeal.

It really is a fascinating process, and myself and the family are looking forward to the BTS show in May.

Regards,
                          Mark.

Mark E

Comment

Working...
                          X