Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.lividum with suspected tumor

Hi all,

Tis a sad day. The other day Kelly and I noticed one of our H.livids had taken a serious turn for the worst. She is still alive but is obviously dying slowly. She is very lerthargic and seems to have twitching spasams in her active legs and palp, the rest of her legs and remaning palp are limp and seem to be deforming. the main cause of this as far as we can see is a large shiny lump that has formed in her abdomen...possibly a tumor?
    I remember Mr Tescos asking about cancer in tarantulas. I have had spiders with lumps in the past but they have always shed out of them. Unfortunatly this in not the case here, she is dying
    What makes it even more unfortunate is that she was obviously gravid, having mated about ten weeks ago, is it possible the eggs have gone bad and caused this problem

If anyone has any infomation on the subject or any advice we would be gratefull.

regards

Shot8un

Thats sad news mate.All that I have heard about this so far is that the spider normally dies at the end of it But I hope this is not the case with yours.
    If she does die do you know anyone you can send the spider of for research on this? The only place I can think of is the BNHM or maybe Romain Pizzi maybe intrested in recieving it or might even know of some things you can try to save the spider.
    Sorry for not being much help
    Chris

Comment

Hi Shot8un
      It may be a parasite, not a tumour. If this is a wild caught spider she may have larvae of a predatory wasp inside or something else. Should something emerge from her try and keep it alive and rear it up.

All I can say other than that is - total bummer such a nice T, shame it may die

Regards
      Mark
      P.S please keep us all informed

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Mark
        It may be a parasite, not a tumour.
        I'd be inclined to agree with Mark, there seem to be a large number of parasitic animals that feed on the Asian theraphosids. I've caught many theraphosids with similar abdominal lumps, the good news is most of the ones I've caught do indeed moult out of it. The bad news is not one of the spiders I've caught showed any other symptoms other then the lump itself.

Steve Nunn
        Australian Tarantulas website
        http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice and comments. I am sure that the problem is nothing to do with a parasite due to the fact that We have had her for over a year and the previous owners had had her for longer and successfuly bred from her. She was wild caught but has been in captivity for 4 years or so, I am sure that the problem would have reared its ugly head before now in the case of a parasite. She does seem to be getting a little better though, we have her in an IC box... the lump hasn't gone down but she is back to her usuall bad tempered self. We will keep you all updated.

Regards

Scott + Kelly

Comment

Maybe she is just deformed

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X