Home Sweet Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Sweet Home

Whilst watching "The Carrot or the Stick" on TV tonight (Come on you 'orrible little stickers!) I caught an ad for these locking tupperware containers http://www.alacook.co.uk/en-gb/dept_286.html - are you guys thinking the same thing as I am...... A few well placed airholes could transform these mundane kitchen items into a dream des res complete with hi tech security for a young T looking to get their first 4 steps on the property ladder
    Don't tell the elf!

containers

A fine idea but in my experience they are expensive. They do however work well. A similar container is available from Tescos ( not our German friend), the chainstore in England. They sell four containers for 97p. They have clear sides and blue lids. They also come in different sizes for potting on. Currently I have all my spiderlings residing in them. I put two holes in the lid and they are doing fine. Hope this helps.
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thanks for that Ray. I have fortunately already discovered the TTT collection (Tesco Tarantula Tupperware) and my 4 pet Hobbitses - Merry (B. auratum), Pippin (B. smithi), Frodo (G. rosea) & Samwise (G. pulchra) slings do indeed seem quite happy in their little cup size 37p containers which are all inside one of the bigger blue top boxes
      Don't tell the elf!

Comment

We have a new store called Dunhelm Mill opened up near us.

They sell 5L cerial containers for £1.75.

All you have to do is cut out the centre of the flip toplid and replace with some Voil or net curtain for ventilation.

These are ideal for housing arboreal spiders and groups of Pokies for rearing up.

Still think the best palce for palstics is the "Poundland" stores wherre every thing is £1, including 2 blocks of Coconut husk

Or "Wilkinsons" for cheap plastics and really cheap vermiculite £1.39 for 5L

Comment

Almost all my T's and scorps are housed in plastic containers - boxes, tubs, screw-top jars, etc., and I mostly buy these from those generic 'pound' shops. Anything from £3 to 10p.

Comment

Housey housey

At the moment my slings (biggest one 4.5 cm) in their little round pots each have a plastic coke bottle top with a 'door' cut in it as a retreat. My B. smithi & auratum seem quite happy with this arrangement but my G. pulchra amuses itself by regularly overturning its house and then sitting in it when it is upsidedown (the rosea has done this once too.) I will be moving them all to larger accomodations after their next moult anyway and was wondering what you guys can recommend me use for new suitably sized houses. Preferably something that can't be overturned or won't squash them if they do
            Don't tell the elf!

Comment

For a 4.5cm spider? How about small plant-pot holders, or small, halved plant pots?

If the spiders are still too small for that, how about halved film-pots?

Comment

I usually keep all my slings in the plastic boxis from tescos etc. But reciently I just ordered a load of jars from that cornish crispa which are ideal for aboreal T's I beleve a link to it was posted on the bulitin board

The had a special offer x25 160mm high tall plastic jars and x50 Tupperware boxes

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

Home sweet home

Found some great small clear plastic boxes in Homebase with colour coded lids that come in a pack of 4 - perfect. After a good look around and careful consideration I have decided to go with black 35mm film containers for my Hobbit holes as they are plenty roomy, won't squish my pets if they roll 'em around and always stay right side up - sorted
                  Don't tell the elf!

Comment

I originally purchased my plastic containers from a supplier called alana ecology. They are quite good. Though i've recently noticed that most pound shops do some very suitable containers.

Comment

I keep some of mine in tupperware, the pound shops are great places for these! Only trouble is they tend to be opaque. Sometimes you can get glass jars for keeping pasta etc in. They are quite good for small arboreals.

Comment

Working...
                      X