Costa Rica December 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costa Rica December 2006

I returned to Nashville last night after a 15 day expedition to study the tarantulas of Costa Rica along with tarantula researcher and arachnohistorian Andrew M. Smith [BTS Chairman] and brothers Paul [BTS Vice Chairman/Treasurer] & Mark Carpenter. We located and photographed 14 species of theraphosid spider.

Today I will make some processing lab very happy with over 20 rolls of film and scan some images to post here. I also shot about 6 hours of video. The trip will be chronicled in two ways: a special edition of ARACHNOCULTURE magazine some time in January and a DVD entitled "COSTA RICAN TARANTULA ADVENTURE: In the footsteps of Valerio" to be released in Spring. Please check back here in a day or two for some teaser photos.

Best regards, Michael
    Last edited by Michael Jacobi; 25-12-06, 01:37 PM.
    MICHAEL JACOBI - exoticfauna@gmail.com
    -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com
    -> The British Tarantula Society - thebts.co.uk
    | michael.jacobi@thebts.co.uk
    -> TARANTULAS.com - tarantulas.com

Hi Michael,

Just heard you had a really good time looking forward to seeing the pics in the magazine.

Ray

Comment

Hi Ray

I'll be posting some photos here as well. Unfortunately, my digicam was left in Nashville due to my being a scatterbrain, and I had to go old-fashioned. Good thing I had my film SLR along as a "back-up"! My photos won't be ready until early next week. I did find one roll hiding in my bag, which I splurged for one hour processing on. They're mostly non-arachnid pix though... baby spider monkey and the large snake Paul almost urinated on. I'll get them up here later today.

Cheers, Michael
      -> Exotic Fauna, The Tarantula Bibliography, ARACHNOCULTURE E-Zine - exoticfauna.com

Comment

Won't get my processed film back until early this week, but I found one roll hiding in my bag that I took to a one hour lab. Here's a couple of non-arachnids to start it off:

The monkey is a baby Geoffroy's spider monkey (Ateles geoffroyi). The first person to correctly identify the snake [by scientific name] wins a year subscription to ARACHNOCULTURE magazine.

More soon...
        Last edited by Michael Jacobi; 25-12-06, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Here's another of the snake. This time held by BTS Chairman and our expedition leader, Andrew M. Smith.

Comment

Is it a ratsnake ??? alothough the markings look like a boas
            Dan.
            p.s= relly nice photos by the way.

Comment

That snake looks dead to me!!!!!LOL.

I knew it he just cant resist pickling things.

Looks like you had a great time.

Ray
              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
              On
              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Since the snake was correctly identified in a parallel thread on Arachnoboards, I will give the answer here.

Don't tell Andy and Paul though... I never told them that they were holding a large rear-fanged "mildly" venomous snake!

Although, the lyresnakes in the western US are typically 2-3' and max out at 4', you can see that the Central American subspecies, Trimorphodon biscutatus quadruplex, gets a bit longer. This large male was easily 5' [150 cm]. Awesome find. This snake was found by Paul Carpenter who went to "have a waz" behind a buttressed tree and screamed "Michael! Snake!". I ran over and told him it was a fer-de-lance because, well, I'm cruel that way. I then reached down to where it was coiled on the ground in the shade between the buttresses and pulled it out, much to Paul's further astonishment. It was a large male in a shed. After removing the engorged tick it had on its neck, I placed him back where he was. Paul urinated elsewhere.

Comment

lol...sounds like such a laugh...i love snakes..
                  Have a few myself.
                  Cheers for that story Michael (made me laugh )
                  Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post

Ray the snake had heard of Mr Smith and his pickling so thought it was going to die when passed to him, which is why it looks like it has given up the ghost

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Hale View Post

Ray the snake had heard of Mr Smith and his pickling so thought it was going to die when passed to him, which is why it looks like it has given up the ghost

Ray G

Comment

(shamless hijack of thread)

Dear All
                        You can hear all about this trip in Andrew Smiths, after dinner lecture
                        at the
                        BTS Lectures and Dinner Feb 24th 2007

Exploring Costa Rica - In the footsteps of Hoffman, Seeman & Valerio

Regards
                        Mark

P.S: One or two places left! Contact Kim

------------------------------------------------------
                        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
                        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
                        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

tea time

Tired of pilchards and crackers, Andrew Smith seeks to procure us lunch armed only with an ice axe.

Comment

Oh no not pilchards and crackers!!!!!! no Ravens meals please tell me no ravens meals! Did Paul tell you the story when he smuggled a tin of sardines in to borneo?? lol Or Andys Lovely or were they Rubbery lamb chops? lol classics
                            ( no storys of me the toyota and the storm drain though guys eh, you wouldnt? would you? ) great pics mate keep em coming...
                            A man who makes no mistakes makes nothing.

Comment

Pick the American Clue: He's the lovely bloke!

PS - Don't worry J-P... they told me plenty of "Lammy Stories"

Comment

Working...
                              X