'DROPPING' AN EGG SAC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'DROPPING' AN EGG SAC

Why do so many tarantula enthusiasts say that their female spider 'dropped' an egg sac or indeed is 'due to drop' an egg sac?
    Quite clearly female spiders don't 'drop' anything. They lay the silk, then lay the eggs then bind it together. Technically they make an egg sac, not drop one. We don't say the chicken is due to drop eggs - she lays them.
    Where did this strange and curious term emanate from? Does anybody care? Am I being too picky or should I just 'drop' the subject?

Oh Carl your going all Peter Arndra(or what ever his name is) on us
    I mean next your be saying-"Isnt it funny that we chop a tree down and once it down we chop it up?"
    What ever next? I hate to ask!

Comment

To drop or not to drop - that is the question

I imagine the term refers to the fact that many animals, notably ruminants, (cows etc.) give birth to live young standing up as it is less stressful on the mother with gravity acting as midwife. Humans, who despite their self righteous attitude of supremacy are still animals, also sometimes employ this method for the same reasons, hence the term to 'drop a sprog'. Therefore any act of giving birth, no matter by what species, can be refered to in this fashion.

That's the sensible bit out of the way - have you heard the one about the baby, the trampoline and a chainsaw .....
      Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Mr Portman.

I think you think too much.

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

Not "thinks" Andy....Drinks
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On