• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some more of my crazy pics :)

Gone

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

As regards the post above

I have recently had an email regarding the effects of a Asian tarantula bite, the results are being sent to me shortly and I hope to translate these and I will publish them in the BTS Journal on behalf of the person is question. The BTS has a no handling policy and the reason for the protection of the tarantula not the person handling it. Should the tarantula panic and drop to the floor this could cause a serious injury resulting in the untimely death of the tarantula involved.

We all interact in some way with our tarantulas, so bites will and have occurred from time to time. Handling does increase the chances of such a bite happening. Bites from tarantulas are on the whole harmless to the fit and healthy. Apart from the pain of the initial bite the flinging of your tarantula across the room during the instant and instinctive recoil from the pain.

Tarantula venom is on the whole harmless apart from the pain and discomfort you may suffer. Studies are showing the tarantula venom has several properties that may help treat heart attack and brain tumour sufferers. Tarantula venom contains in varying degrees and depending on the species - peptide toxins, paralytic polyamines, and nucleotides, Asian species are known for their more painful bite and may have a higher bodily reaction than a bite from let’s say a South American species.

The correspondence I am having with the bite victim states that they are currently suffering, I quote

“At the moment my symptoms are cramps in my hands and feet. In my whole body I have muscular ache.”

I would like to point out that this person was not handling the tarantula in question merely attending to its environment and the tarantula involved was a Haplopelma species and most likely a colour morph of H, Lividum.

So kiddies when you see such pictures of handling do not try to emulate these practices, you have been informed and to do so is at your own risk and the BTS can take no responsibility for your actions by our action of leaving this picture on our forum.

Nuff said
    Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I absolutly 100% agree with Mark on this. Being the owner of the national collection of H.lividum I am appalled that anyone would consider handling one of these spiders. Your spider may be docile Gary but I can assure you this is not always the case with this species. Having been bitten by such a creature whilst moving it from one tank to another I can tell you it is not a pleasant expereince nor one I would like to relive. The BTS has a strong "No handling" policy and it is pictures like this that only reinforce the case of those against the hobby. If you wish to handle your spiders in private this is your perogative, however do not post the pictures on our site. I would presume that you have not been bitten by a tarantula Gary or else you would think twice before picking this species up.
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I have been bitten By T's before if you like I will remove the pic.

Comment

Thank you Gary for yor understanding. I have e-mailed you directly.

On a lighter note it is indeed a fine specimen and too find a docile lividum is unusual. Worth breeding her I think.

Good luckand thanks again

Ray
          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
          On
          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Originally posted by RayHale
            Thank you Gary for yor understanding. I have e-mailed you directly.

On a lighter note it is indeed a fine specimen and too find a docile lividum is unusual. Worth breeding her I think.

Good luckand thanks again

Ray
            Thats ok and just for the record my name is Graeme

Comment

Hi Graeme
              It was not my intent to have you remove your own pictures, if this was the case I would have done so myself. Any way I fully apreciate your response and applaud you for understanding the BTS's response.

I will leave this thread here for a couple of days and then remove it..

Best regards
              Mark
              P.s hopefully you know that my response was objective and not intended to offend or be to authoritarian.

------------------------------------------------------
              Serious Ink tattoo studio -
              Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

no problem

Comment

Working...
                X