Help, how do you kill mites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, how do you kill mites

Hi all, Could you please let me know of any tips n tricks of getting rid of mites. Whilst feeding my A.geniculata tonight I noticed these tiny pin ***** sized white things moving on a large black plastic plant pot in her tank. They are the size you have to study for ages to see them move. I am dreading studying my other two tanks as they are bound to have the same. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Kenny

Mitey problem

I find a flamethrower works well - just remember to take your T out first and don't use it too close to the curtains

Failing that, remove your T into a sterile temporary home and dispose of all the tank's organic contents. Clean the tank and fittings in a mild chlorine bleach solution (you may be better off replacing the fittings as they may absorb the bleach and kill your T ). Thoroughly rinse everything off and natural dry. Repeat until there is absolutely no bleach smell when dry. Refurbish the tank with new substrate etc. and keep it drier than before and be extra diligent removing waste food etc.

Small tanks, gravel based substrates and non metallic furnishings can be nuked in the microwave but again remember to take your T out first
    Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Thanks for that Comedydroid,
      Yes on reflection I must admit the tank is probably a bit on the damper side of ideal. It's kind of cute though seeing 8 flippers and a snorkel moving in perfect formation but a nightmare getting a well fitting bikini for a A.geniculata. Seriously though, I will take on board your advice and thanks again.
      Kenny

Comment

mites

Hi, in my experiance if you take everything out clean it and put it back the mites just come back, you should find the source of your problem eg, dead food,skins or the crickets you use, also it is highly likely they come in on the peat or soil. Mites are all part of the fun of keeping t`s some mites are ok and others can be a problem eg. blocking the book lungs.
        The best thing i could reconmend is drying the tank out or just keeping it on the dry side as mites love wet warm conditions. hope this helps paul

Comment

Hi Paul,
          Thanks for that, the picture is becoming clearer. I don't use peat / soil yet and have been meaning to experiment after reading quite a lot on various forums about substrate. From the onset of my T keeping I have used straight vermiculate as that was what I was advised at the time. I have looked at a couple of places over the last few day's for peat / soil but have been put of by the additives through the ones I had seen like fertilisers,water holding gel,growth enhancers etc. I will keep looking though and will be more prudent with the misting if and when I do find one that suits. Come to think of it what does everyone else use? any recommendations on type / name of product would be very helpful.
          Thanks again
          Kenny

Comment

Hi, I found this on a search and thought I could re-use it?

I have recently noticed (within the last week) that just above the waterline in my Smithi's waterdish, every 2-3 days there are these tiny black dots, which move around when you disturb them.

I clean out the dish with boiling water etc, but they keep re-appearing, albeit in small numbers (4 - 8ish).

The tank is a vermiculite only arrangement and I keep the dish at the "warm end" to help with moisture evaporation/humidity control. I don't spray the vermiculite so it is generally bone dry.

I can't find any food waste but there was a "bit" of a smell the other day which has now completely gone.

How much of a problem are these things (where do they come from!!) and is it important that I completely renew (or microwave) the substrate etc etc.

I would rather not disturb the spider too much if possible (it tends to resist being evicted and runs about a lot - seems quite stressful), so thought about just digging out around the water bowl - any thoughts?

Comment

I think i'm lucky as i've never had mites on my Ts. But then mine are low humidity species. Also i always have woodlice in with them,which helps!
              My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
              Ray Gabriel

Comment

1 woodlouse for every 12 square inches of floor space will keep the mites down, they eat the food and waste remnants, i've always used them...never had a mite problem, had a few, but never a problem.

eg..12" x12" exo terra tank = 144 sq inches = 12 woodies

Comment

Originally posted by Colin D Wilson View Post
                  1 woodlouse for every 12 square inches of floor space will keep the mites down, they eat the food and waste remnants, i've always used them...never had a mite problem, had a few, but never a problem.

eg..12" x12" exo terra tank = 144 sq inches = 12 woodies
                  Colin, so I am 12" x 8", therefore 8 woodlice. Are these the common or garden variety found under stones etc or do you have to buy them, in a "sterilised" format?

Also, will the Tarantula not eat them?

Comment

Thats about right for the amount,

As far as gathering them, i tend to get them from a sparse area of woodland where there's 99% chance of no pestasides etc. you can buy them from online shops i believe, they sell them for food

The spider normally ignores them but if it eats one no harm should come, like i said, i've used them for years with no problems.

Comment

mic the Peat

High there Highlander.
                      I use Peat,Verm Mix. I stick my Peat in the Mic for 8 to 10mins before use. That gets rid of Mites and all other crap thats in it. Make sure it's dry or not too damp before you do it though incase it sets on fire. you don't need to do the vermiculite that should be uncontaminated anyhow.
                      Haz...

Comment

phorid fly larvae

I had a problem with these once, but never had a problem with mites (touch wood). The enclosure was too humid but as soon as it dried alittle they went.
                        Phorid fly larvae are like little white worms

Comment

Neil,re the woodlice. I just use ordinary garden ones and have even found them breeding in the chile rose's tank. Also i have yet to find a T or house spider that will touch them,i think they just don't like them,unless the woodlice exude some chemical that spiders don't like!
                          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                          Ray Gabriel

Comment

lol when we tried woodlice ours loved them I guess it depends on the individual T one of our pokies was extra fond of them and had cleared the tank of them less than a week after they had gone in. Someone asked about a aditive free compost well wilkos do good ones that are additive free, actually they do two types their own brand multi purpose stuff and another brand that comes in a green pack that I cant remeber the name of right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X