Waiter - this isn't what I ordered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waiter - this isn't what I ordered

I have a large female Poecilotheria regalis, and for some reason she's largely indifferent to disturbances, sometimes when gently prodded (with a long rod, believe me) to move her to another corner. And then, after a few minutes, she 'wakes up' and skitters all around and sometimes out of her container - almost causing me heart failure. But that's not what I'm posting about.

I feed her two or three medium/large brown crickets every week. She never notices them at the time, sometimes even letting them crawl over her. She sometimes eats them, but only at night (which is okay), and there's always one or two left over, perched on top of the bark in the morning.

As she's an arboreal spider, I'm wondering if I should try to get suitable flying prey for her? With the changing season I'll soon be able to get her large amounts of flies and moths. Is there anything else I could try? Especially in winter months?

Her setup: She's in a 6"x6"x12" tall ventilated plastic food container. This is kept in a heated cabinet with large heat strips on the back - kept at 23-24 degrees C. She has three long pieces of cork bark arranged vertically. Two are fitted together to form a tube retreat. The substrate is a coconut bark/vermiculite mix which is kept at a moderate humidity.

Poecilotheria food

Hello Warren,
    I should like to offer a word of caution regarding feeding flies and moths (and any other creatures caught from the wild) to your Poecilotheria with the changing of the season.
    It is worth remembering that some of the moths may feed in areas that have been sprayed with insecticides etc. Moths ingest the poison, spider ingests the moth, spider ingests the poison too.
    Just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I understand.

I don't think it'll be a problem, though. I live in a fairly spray-free area, and I've fed my entire collection with wild-caught food during the last few summers - there have been no apparent ill-effects.

Comment

Working...
      X