Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithi Feeding

Hi,

My smithi has decided to stop eating (for last 4 weeks), and has become far more inactive than usual. She looks very healthy and is standing 'correctly'. She is 5 inches across now and moulted on Christmas eve, so I doubt she is getting ready to moult again.
    Is it normal to stop eating like this? She is normally overactive in the food department.

Help appreciated,
    Mark

Mark E

It sounds perfectly normal beahviour for a B. smithi.
    The so-called 'pet rocks' of the hobby - Brachypelma, will go through these cycles sometimes. They moult, resume feeding, fast, resume feeding some months later and then usually moult again. There's nothing wrong with this cycle but if you want your spider to be more 'interesting' try feeding less frequently, maybe once a month. This way the spider may be a bit more active and the fasting times shorter. Many people who have one or two spiders feed them a lot (sometimes every day) so this just means they will stop feeding earlier and this can lead to questions like yours. If the abdomen is relatively plump and the spider is active (as much as it usually is), then everything should be fine, just make sure it has a water dish at all times...
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Guy. She looks fine, but is definately not as active as before. I normally feed my spiders once or twice a week and don't leave food in the tank uneaten (if still there after 2 days).
      Water is always topped up and fresh.

I suppose I am worrying as the spider is usually all over the tank, climbing walls, walking on the roof etc. but lately has become more sedate.

Thanks,
      Mark
      Mark E

Comment

Working...
      X