Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lampropelma violaceopedes photos

Hi all

Try as I might I can't seem to find a single pic of Lampropelma violaceopedes, there have been a few pics labled as such but all are H. lividum. Am I missing somthing here or are pictures being witheld and if so why?

regards

Shot8un

Shot8un

Pictures of Lampropelma violaceopes, Abraham 1924, are not being withheld! its just no one knows what it looks like or has the correct one to photograph.

Its one of those missing links!.... a few people are racing to get to the bottom of the mystery. The closest we have come to Lampropelma violaceopes is the large blue Cyriopagopus species as seen at the BTS show.

The male and female on Abrahams original paper I am informed came from different areas. The male was collected in Pahang state Malaysia and the Female from Singapore.

I think we all await the outcome all the research into this species. Its long over due but we have to be patient as this work can take many years to complete as funding for these things are ZERO!

Cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mark,

I had heard a rumor that suggested otherwise but it did sounded a bit fanciful. The blue spider I saw at the show has really done somthing for me, I beat myself round the head each day for not buying one of the juvaniles that were on sale...Still, I might get one one day.

Thanks again

Scott

Comment

Hi Mark,

Originally posted by Mark

The closest we have come to Lampropelma violaceopes is the large blue Cyriopagopus species as seen at the BTS show.
        I would be surprised if the Cyriopagopus species from the BTS show is the Lampropelma violaceopes sensu Abraham 1924 since it is a very blue specimen, also the dorsal surface is blue. Abraham is talking of a rich blue-violet on the ventral surface. From the description by Abraham 1924:
        "...ventral surface a rich blue-violet when viewed at a certain angeles
        (the intensity of this colouring appears to vary in different individuals
        and is almost entirely lost, in all observed cases, just previously to
        moulting); ..."

but time will tell – I hope! =

all the best,
        Martin
        »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Hi Martin,

In your article in the Draco magasine (P. 29) you say that the "pet trade" L. violaceopes from Malaysia (the specimen you have put a picture on p. 28 as "Lampropelma violaceopes") is believed to be in fact a Cyriopagopus sp. (you mention that Rick West believes this)... is this something that is accepted by most now or there are still doubts or possibilities this could be the "real" L. violaceopes?...

There is a picture of a specimen of possibly this same species here if I am not mistaken where it seems only the femurs are blue:

If I did not understand correctly, I apologise as I struggle with German language and do my best...

Thank you

Martin

Comment

Hi Martin,

the species on the photo in the DRACO is the pet trade "Haplopelma robustum" – a few years ago this one has been sold as "Haplopelma robustum" in the pet trade and sometimes still is (BTW, here are two more photos: >>click here<<, >>click here<<).
            Rick West told us a while ago, that he believes this one to be a Cyriopagopus species (I think the specimen on this photo shows the same species >>click here<<).
            For a while it was thought that this might be the Lampropelma violaceopes sensu Abraham, but in the meanwhile it seems that Abrahahm found two species which (one or both??) he described as Lampropelma violaceopes (that's why we wrote the name in quotation marks). => further studies are necessary to clarify this! See also this thread: >>click here<<
            This species from the pet trade is not a Haplopelma species but also not a typical Cyriopagopus. Time and further studies will tell what it is.

all the best,
            Martin

PS.: BTW, in this DRACO issue are some mistakes, which are not the fault of the authors. The authors sent back their proof-readings with some corrections, but the editorial staff or more likely the layout man overrode several comments of the authors. So it looks like the authors have made these mistakes! =
            e.g. the photo on page 28 next to the "Lampropelma violaceopes" photo does not show a Haplopelma sp. "aureopilosum" female but an adult male!
            The photo on page 67 does not show a Selenocosmia stirlingi but a Chaetopelma
            The subtitel on page 26 should be "Text und Fotos von Volker von Wirth und Martin Huber" and not "...Fotos: Volker von Wirth", since the photos are made by me and not by Volker (only three photos were taken at Volker's home with his assistance.
            Correct spelling on page 9 should be Xenodendrophila and on page 81 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
            ...and some more little faults. But all in all I think it is a good and informative piece of reading! =
            »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Thank you Martin, very informative as usual.

Comment

Working...
              X