Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some newbie questions

hi everyone

I've had my spider a week now, a sub adult chile rose, and I bought a "starter kit" from my local petshop which included a tank, heater, water dish etc.
    The only thing that surprised me slightly was the substrate included was a sort of "rainforest" woodchips. I've seen the spider attempt to move it about without much success, since its a burrowing species am I better off getting a looser, more manageable substrate such as peat?

My other question is on Saturday I bought a wooden bird box for him to use as a burrow and he loves it and won't come out. In fact with the webbing hes put up in front I can hardly see him anymore - I've only seen him outside once in the last three days while on a late night trip for a glass of water (me that is), and he scuttled back in as soon as I turned the light on. The crickets I put in seem to disappear so he must be coming out (or them going in there I guess) but will I ever see him again?

thanks,
    Mark

On the subject of substrate, it mostly amounts to owner-preference than spider-preference. There has been, and probably always will be, discussion about what's best and there is no "right" answer. Many terrestrial spiders have burrows in sandy loam in their natural habitat, but this is usually an impracticable option for captive spiders. The most popular substrate choices seem to be vermiculite or peat or a mixture of both. Even with those though, New World terrestrials will usually prefer to position themselves most of the time on a solid surface, such as a shelter, within the tank.

The bird box behaviour could be due to many reasons and I have no simple and straightforward answer for you. However, it would be helpful to know what your heat source is and where you've poistioned it. Your spider might be seeming to act quirkily because of too much localised heating.

Comment

hi geoff,
      the heat mat is pretty low powered (7w I believe) and is on the outside of the back wall of the tank, with the box in front of it, covering about half.
      Its probably easier to post a picture than try to describe it

The result is a fairly warm spot immediately to the side of the box. Any crickets head straight for it. The thermometer on the right wall is reading between 60 and 70 (F) depending on the room temp and time of day but I think that is the coolest part of the tank. Do you think I need more heating in there?

Comment

Hi M8

You may wish to exchange the peat bark chippings for Vermiculite. Grammastola are a desert scrub species, peat bark being more suitable for jungle and moist woodland species. The wooden box is being used as a retreat, most sp of tarantula use these to lie up in during the day and come out at night to feed. What you may wish to do is get a plastic plant pot, cut it in half and place it cut side down in the substrait and dig a little under it. You pet will probably take to it and then modify it by burrowing under it. this just gives your spider a chance to make his own home as it sees fit...somthing it cant do with wood. The sad fact is you may not see much of your pet during the day. But when its quiet at night you will see legs poking out the front of the burrow waiting for food to wander by. In my oppinion this is better... If you see your spider all the time you may get used to it and then its not as exciting... there is nothing more thrilling than waiting when its all quiet and seeing you spider emerge from its burrow.

But all in all it sounds like you have a nice healthy spider...Dont forget to make sure water is always available in a small dish.

the best of luck

Regards

Scott

Comment

Hiding Spiders

Mark,

About 3 months ago now i bought my first T, a very young P.Regalis. I think i saw it once in about the first week, little did i know it was about to moult!

But despite this, generally, my T will only be out and about when there is no direct light on his tank or when it's 2 hot in his burrow during the warmer days. My spider is very shy but I agree with Shotgun, it just makes it all the more exciting when it sneaks out to nail another cricket or more recently house spiders i find wondering around.

How many more spiders will be called boris?

James

Comment

Working...
          X