im new to this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im new to this

i have had my chile rose for about 3 weeks now and it seems to be getting on quite well and every so often goes on a rampaging hunt for crickets in the vivarium!
    my original thought when i was told that we were getting a tarantula was eurgh but now i think they are gourgeous .
    now i came here to ask a few questions and they are:
    how do i tell what sex my chile rose is?
    and
    how often can we expect it to moult?

i will be very gratefull if you could tell me the answers to these questions!

thanks
    will

how often can we expect it to moult?
    Ive had a Chile Rose Tarantulas (Grammostola rosea) my second T for about 9 years ive only seen her molt 4 times..... I think this will all depend on the age of you T as they molt more often the younger they are

how do i tell what sex my chile rose is?
    At the risk of being shot down in flames here the way i tell when they are adult's (and must stress this is my personal opinion) females have a larger abdoman and seem to be well proportioned. Males (adult) have a smaller abdomain and looks out of proportion with its legs, also males have hooks on there front two legs used to hold female fangs during copulation. can be seen here on this forum

As i said this is how i would personal try to sex my own spiders but its not the way many pepole would to be 100% sure you need to send a molt away to be sexed.... and ive been wrong aswell as i just got a Mexican Red Knee (B. smithi) and thought he was a she until he molted last week
    Hope this helps.... my first post on the forum so take it easy on me guy's and hello to everyone...[/img]

Comment

Whereas the ideas given above are a good guide as he points out it is not definitive. the only certain way is to sex the spider from a shed skin. Hooks are present on some species on maturity but not on all.
      This can be difficult if you dont know what you are looking for. To this end the BTS offers a sexing practitoner course. Contact Richard Gallon for details.
      Or you can end a shed skin to one of the qualified practiitiones who will be glad to help.

Details can be found in the Journal or on the website.
      Hope this helps
      Ray Hale
      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
      On
      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

By the way, welcome the site Haggis. Lets see some more posts.

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thank's Ray will do im just waiting on my first pokie's to be deliverd on saturday (P.Regalis). Got there new home sitting waiting for them ... I feal like a big kid cant wait till they are here (Saturday comming) as ive been wanting one of these T's for years (always seemed to be out of stock when i tryed to get one) so i orderd 3 will post picture's when they arrive ....ooh roll on saturday

Comment

Working...
          X