The beginning of the end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The beginning of the end?

Some of you may have read or heard about the new animal protection legislation that came into force this week.

A lot makes reasonable sense, i.e. you have to be over 16 to purchase any pet, no more goldfish in plastic bags from fun-fares, giving the powers of entry to the RSPCA etc. and I don't think any of us would object one iota to a law that limits cruelty.

However this act also covers invertebrates including British Wildlife, our 8 legged friends and perhaps even crickets & mealworms. Extrapolating this law to its fullest extent, as I read it, would mean the following.

1. Anyone using Slug Pellets could be prosecuted for cruelty
    2. The sale of 100's of crickets in plastic tubs could be deemed as overcrowding and therefore ilegal.
    3. The FEEDING of live invertebrates to a predatory species could, by definition be said to cause undue suffering and would become banned.

If this were a joke it would be moderately funny, however this act is law of the land now, and these concerns were told to me by a Livestock wholesaler who has read the act and saw the full potential implications for us all.

We can hope for just 2 things, firstly that common sense prevails and that the thought of prosecution for feeding a cricket to ones tarantula does not cross the mind of even the most fanatical RSPCA officer. Secondly that it becomes too costly to send teams of armed police into peoples house looking for ant powder on the basis that it constitutes a weapon of mass destruction.

In the meantime, friends I'm off to try and get my C. thorelli to eat a nut cutlet (maybe if drew eyes on it?....................)
    M.
    The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

New laws

I've also heard about this. I saw a newspaper article (Daily Telegraph) where the Minister responsible for this bill is quoted as saying these new laws "do not cover invertebrates"...."only vertebrates"...

Clearly they'd have had to prosecute every farmer, gardener and car-driver who kills invertebrates! Not to mention scientists who run pit-fall traps etc. And dogs with fleas - don't fleas have rights to live on pet dogs? I hope the RSPCA isn't advocating killing fleas, ticks and lice They suffer a terrible death when blasted with organophosphates (nerve gas to you or I) and pyrethroids. Why is one dog's suffering considered more cruel than the painful death of 100's of fleas?? Because they're fluffy and cute Joe public doesn't give a stuff about invertebrates - it simply isn't a vote winner!

Comment

Hello,

Don,t believe everything you read in the papers!!!!.

Firstly, the recently published white paper (Animal welfare bill) was published this week, but will not come into force until it has been approved by parliament. This is likely to take years.

Secondally, it will not in its present form afford protection to all or any inverterbrates. However, if it is passed, it will enable particular groups of inverts to be protected at the discresion of the government. (I think??) at a later date.

#While this proposed bill is not an immediate threat to the spider keeping hobby, it generates a number of concerns. Not only to us, but to keepers of any animal. (Particually exotics) # (N.B. That bit is my opinion only. Make your own mind up.)

This is my understanding of the situation,

Hope this clarifys things a little.

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

A lot makes reasonable sense, i.e. you have to be over 16 to purchase any pet, no more goldfish in plastic bags from fun-fares, giving the powers of entry to the RSPCA etc
        BTW, can I take exception to one comment there.

How does giving power of entry to the RSPCA make any sense at all??????? They are a charity, not a properly accountable law enforcement agency.

BTW, under the new proposed AWB, it is not clear whether the RSPCA will be given such powers. Although from september they will be (Wrongly IMHO) be given increased powers with regards to pet shops, commercial breeders etc (of verterbrates).

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

I sincerely hope Andy is right about this and that inverts are left alone. The trouble is that the bunny-hugging lentil-eating, sandal-wearing yoghurt-knitting brigade are insidious, they are not happy unless they have a "focus of evil" to bash.

Up until now caged birds, dogs and reptiles have been their focus but when they can do no more, I fear inverts will be next in their politically correct line of fire and that means lobbying, pressure groups, press releases and ultimately law. Take the example of fishing - it was thought that they would just concentrate on hunting with dogs, but rumbles are already there that sport / course fishing is to be "regulated" - its a slippery slope, guys and it only goes one way.

Re. the RSPCA no they are not perfect, but heres the news - some people really should not be allowed to keep animals of any sort, and I include some people (now departed thankfully) from the reptile / arachnid community in this.

So someone has to Police them and I would rather work with the likes of the RSPCA and help them to help us than take a confontational stand against them and have them end up just listening to the likes of PETA.

Pick your fights carefully!
          The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

I sincerely hope Andy is right about this and that inverts are left alone. The trouble is that the bunny-hugging lentil-eating, sandal-wearing yoghurt-knitting brigade are insidious, they are not happy unless they have a "focus of evil" to bash.
            Agreed

Up until now caged birds, dogs and reptiles have been their focus but when they can do no more, I fear inverts will be next in their politically correct line of fire and that means lobbying, pressure groups, press releases and ultimately law. Take the example of fishing - it was thought that they would just concentrate on hunting with dogs, but rumbles are already there that sport / course fishing is to be "regulated" - its a slippery slope, guys and it only goes one way.
            I agree with you again. My post was an attempt to dispell some of the myths that are flying about with regards to the AWB. However, I whole heartedly agree that inverts may be next on the list, and am concerned that there is scope in the proposed legislation to include them at a later date. What concerns me more is that certain animal welfare / rights charitys are actively pushing to include theraphosids in this and subsequent legislation.

So someone has to Police them and I would rather work with the likes of the RSPCA and help them to help us than take a confontational stand against them and have them end up just listening to the likes of PETA.

Pick your fights carefully!
            I agree that someone has to police animal welfare, I just feel it should be left to accountable bodies like the police and local authorities. The idea of giving police powers to a charity seems to me to be a bad idea.

With regards to working with the RSPCA, I do not have a problem with this, and agree that it could be benefitial to us. I just do not agree that they should be given and legal powers.

Regards,

Andy.

Comment

Hi all,

I work along side the animal welfare team in my local authority (i'm a trading standards officer and so am trained in some areas of animal welfare myself). I'll see what information has been passed on to us (results of consultations, central government feedback, implementation timetable etc) If i find anything a little more useful/concrete, i'll post it as i get it.

Comment

I did a little research today. Andy was correct in saying not all invertebrates are covered by the act. The animal welfare bill only applies to animals, for the purpose of the act an animal is defined 'as any vertibrate excluding man'. The secretary of state can choose to make orders at a later date which would bring groups of invertebrates within the scope of the legislation. I could not find any mention of invertebrate groups that may be subject to such orders. The increased powers for RSPCA seemed like a bit of a grey area so i won't go in to it. The majority of the bill discusses increased powers for local authority inspectors and it all seems like a positive step forward for the protection of animals.

All the above is fact, the next is my opinion.

It is unlikely that the government would put any kind of ban or regulation of the reasonable feeding of an animal. T's are kept by a vast amount of people and banning us from feeding them would cause significantly more damage to animal welfare than by allowing us to feed our little friends. Also another thing to consider is the legal concept of 'De Minimis' (the law does not concern itself with trifles). The bill is being introduced to stop unneccessary suffering to animals. The feeding of a pet on it's natural diet is not undue or unnesseccary and is a minor point compared to a person who is training animals to fight each other (one of the major focuses of the bill)

Hope that has helped, if i hear more i can let you know.

Comment

Working...
                X