Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H. maculata eggsac

Hi!

My female H. maculata is guarding an eggsac for over 2 months now. She produced it in the first days of May, about 6 weeks (or a few days more) after the mating. I decidedto leave the eggsac with the female (to let nature do her work). Guy Tansley writes on his website, that the spiderlings emerge approximately 8 weeks later. I'm getting a little nervous, so...how long would you wait for the young to emerge? When would you decide to take the eggsac away from her to look if everything is allright?

Thanks a lot!
    Matjaz

Spiderling emergence times depend a lot on temperatures etc so I wouldn't be too worried yet. At six weeks, the young ones should not be far off so if it was me I would remove the female from the container (H. maculata build fixed eggsac's for those who don't know) and have a look inside. Hopefully you will be greeted by the sight of lots of little legs

Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Hi!

You mean cut open the eggcas a little and have a look inside? It's ok to leave it open like that for the time left than?

best wishes
      Matjaz

Comment

Basically, yes. I would remove the female first though as she will be very defensive of the eggsac. Cut a small hole in the eggsac, just big enough to look inside to see if there's any development. You can later return the female for the remaining weeks but it may not be worth it as she doesn't really incubate the eggsac as do species with mobile eggsacs.
        Guy...
        www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Today was the day, when me and my friend wanted to check the eggsac. But the young spiders where faster and started to emerge a few hours before. The female is now removed...a few days later, the spiderlings will be separated in groups and counted.
          Thanx for your help Guy!

best wishes,
          Matjaz

Comment

Comment

Beautiful pics, I'm impressed

Comment

That has got to be the coolest pic ever!
                Guy...
                www.giantspiders.com

Comment

231 spiderlings (1 of them dead) were counted today. Have to say, I didn't expect so many.

Matjaz

Comment

Congrats

I have another adult female comming on thursday. I'd love a male so I could try breeding them myself

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

231 spiderlings (1 of them dead) were counted today. Have to say, I didn't expect so many.
                      That is a lot, last time I bred them there was only 106.
                      Does this mean I get some free for all my advice LOL

Well done.
                      Guy...
                      www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Amazing Pic, really nice

Ray

Comment

Ever thought of doing an article for the BTS journal?

Comment

I'm gonna write an article, but probably not before October, when the "exam period" is over (have to make it this year ).

Matjaz

Comment

Working...
                            X