Where do you get T papers to read?
    And are they hard for hobbyist?
    Thanks

Re: About papers

Originally posted by sirmarkgod
    Where do you get T papers to read?
    And are they hard for hobbyist?
    Thanks
    My spiders rather like reading the Sunday Times, although I find it a bit heavy going at times

Sorry --- I just couldn't resist it

Comment

sorry ~I do not understand you mean

Comment

you can get reptile and invertebrate magazines and books but not actual T ones as far as i know
        join my forum today!
        http://conways.proboards25.com

Comment

This is very is a very daunting task and very time consuming and VERY expensive those that have been through it will not give their papers away because of their time and money invested in obtaining it. (ME INCLUDED!)

You need to obtain a 'template list' of all theraphosid species and their bibliographies published before 1960. The only ones are either;

Bonnet, Pierre. Bibliographie Araneorum, Toulouse, Vol. 1 - 2 [there are
          several volumes of these 'two volumes' and you need to look for them at a
          large University library or borrow the books through interlibrary loan and
          photocopy only the 'Barychelidae and Theraphosidae' and the huge bibliography].

or

Roewer, Carl. Katalog der Araneae. Bremen, Vol. 1, 1040 pp. [borrow the book
          through interlibrary loan and photocopy only the 'Barychelidae and Theraphosidae'
          and the huge bibliography].

Once you have this ... you can find the author/species publication info and
          order it through interlibrary loans or look for it in large University libraries

Lastly, failing the above. try to find a large University library that has 'Zoological
          Record' abstracts going back to the late 1800s. Every old University library has
          these abstracts. In each year, look up 'Arachnida', then either 'Aviculariidae' or
          'Theraphosidae' (family name changed around the late 1800s) and track your species papers down via that route.

Now what I have noticed is that most very old theraphosid descriptions are to be quite honest utter rubbish and not worth the paper they are printed on most are in Latin ( this is one big pain in the bum for a start if your an english speaking brummie) the more recent descriptions can come in all languages so being multilingual is a big bonus lol you can try to use online translators but they mostly come out garbled I must admit locating reading and comparing 'types' using old theraphodid descriptions has been the hardest thing I have ever done I'm only half way though Avicularia and its been a very long time since I started my search. I'm very lucky as Rick C West , Gérard DUPRE and the BNHM staff have helped one hell of a lot! and if I can help someone else then maybe they can return the favour to the next person and so on and so forth this way we will have many more possible taxonomists in the future and this can only help the hobby we all love so much!

hope this helps and happy hunting :P

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by RichardDegville
            You need to obtain a 'template list' of all theraphosid species and their bibliographies published before 1960. The only ones are either;
            >>click here<<

all the best,
            Martin
            »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Thanks all
              I will read some books and stay this field
              Although I am a beginner,I love this Ts

Comment

The best book to obtain is "Arachnida:Araneae:Theraphosidae"
                Systematik Teil 1
                By Robert Samm

Although it was printed in 1999 it is still a greta book.

ISSN 09448667.

This is a list of all Theraphosid papers by species and in chronological order.

This is good start.

You can also join the British Libraryand obtain papers through them. As Richard says this can be expensive so you have to be selective in your search.

I have been collecting Selenocosmia papers for many years and still have a lot to obtain.

Hope this helps

Ray Hale (BTS)
                British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                On
                [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Thanks all
                  I will find more to read.
                  T field is wonderful.
                  Although some is hard to me,like identification...

Comment

It's A long hard slog have fun glad I could help

Comment

After giving it some thought it has occured to me that the BTS has an extensive Reference Library.

We have a large number of papers and articles. If you need anything then you need to be specific in your request. If it is in the Library we can copy it and send it to you at cost.

Remember ithe more specific you are in your request the more chance we have of finding it.

Many of the BTS Committe also have copies of old papers and we would be more than willing to asssist in anyway possible.

Ray
                      British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                      The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                      On
                      [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Working...
                      X