Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some help and advice required.

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I have a 7 year old Chilean Rose. I have had her for just over a year and I am getting really concerned by her behaviour. She goes for a couple of months at a time not eating, I generally feed her on Locusts but when she refuses them I have tried crickets but she is not interested in them either. I know that this species is renowned for going for long periods without eating but I don't know if this kind of behaviour is normal. She always has fresh water in her bowl and the room that she is kept in is always at a steady 25 degrees but after reading many sourcebooks (before I purchased her) I decided not to use a heat pad. Her substrate is soil and I keep one side damp and the other relatively dry.

I have also noticed that she has not had a molt yet. I bought her just after a molt so she should have been due one by now....

Can anyone offer me some information as to what the problem may be.

Thanks

Amethyst

It sounds like you are doing everything right
    G. rosea do fast for long periods (I have heard accounts of over 18 months!) and these periods seem to get longer as the spider gets older. This goes for moulting too - it's not uncommon for them to skip a year or even two, between moults. Keep the water dish filled and as long as the abdomen remains relatively plump, everything should be OK. Your temps seem fine too.
    You may want to try introducing a seasonal change to induce more regular behaviour. This means trying to give the spider the same seasonal temps / daylight hours as it would experience in it's natural environment.
    Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Working...
    X