newbie needs some advise on $$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie needs some advise on $$

Hi everyone, Ive just decided to (finally!) get into tarantula's and want to get a Avicularia metallica. Can you give me some info on setup costs (inclusive of the beast itself)?

Thanks all in advance.

Re: newbie needs some advise on $$

Originally posted by anogio
    Hi everyone, Ive just decided to (finally!) get into tarantula's and want to get a Avicularia metallica. Can you give me some info on setup costs (inclusive of the beast itself)?

Thanks all in advance.
    Hi Anogio,
    Glass tank = £15 (cheaper if secondhand)
    Heat mat = £12 (check out ebay for cheap new ones)
    Substrate = £2 (moss peat from garden centre)
    Cork bark = £4 (can be bought online)
    Adult spider = £20

To be honest I'd get a captive-bred ground dwelling tarantula first (Brachypelma or Grammostola). The problem with wild caught Avicularia is settling them into captivity. Some simply don't and die. A large captive bred Brachypelma or Grammostola will be more likely to thrive. There's nothing more likely to put you off a hobby than having your first animal/plant die within weeks of getting it Maybe once you've built-up some practical experiance you can try an Avicularia. I wouldn't suggest them as a first spider.

However if you really want one try and pick the spider in person. Choose one that's produced lots of silk and has a fat abdomen.

Richard

Comment

Thats sound advice, thanks Richard. I should be able to get started within the next two weeks. Thanks again.

Comment

I agree with Richard Avics do not make good first spiders.

I will be posting an add soon for free spiderlings. These will feed on squat maggots. Maybe you would like to try these first?

Ray G

Comment

Working...
        X