Spiderling advice required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiderling advice required

Hi all, i've managed to get some Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens spiderlings (thanks Sven). Just a few questions, i'm housing them in small plastic tubs 7" by 5" with a peat substrate(i know the tubs are very large compared to the size of the slings but is the best i could get my hands on).

I have two questions.

Firstly what is the best way of getting water to the spiders (the books i've read say not to use tissue or sponge, and they are too small for water bowls.

Secondly, what is the best way to house the micro-crickets? i have loads in a cricket tub but i'm worried they will escape when i open the lid (or am i just being paranoid?)

Thanks in advance guys

Water

Hi,
    This species likes to be kept on the dry side. Aim to keep most of the substrate dry, keeping one corner moist at all times. The spiderlings will drink from the wet substrate corner.

Escaped microcrickets die quickly in a dry house

You can open a corner of the tub and shake them into a glass mixing bowl (they can't climb glass). Get yourself a pooter and suck-up a few and blow them into your spiderling's pot.

Richard

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've managed to order a variety of containers from a lab supply company

It has really surprised me how much web these little guys create.

Comment

Hiya I use small meal worms for this sp and they take them with out hesitation this saves all the hassles of micro crickets and the flys from maggots ( which are now banned in my house )

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I've found a supplier of mini meal worms. They state that the worm size will be between 10 and 15mm, is this ok, My spiderlings are only 15-20mm legspan. Would those worms be too large? Also am i ok to drop meal worms directly on to the substrate or would they burrow?

Sorry about all the question, i just want to make sure i'm doing the best for my little slings.

Comment

Hiya that's the size of the spiderling in my pic so hope that answers your question lol the best bet is to drop the meal worm in close proximity this way it will get snared before it burrows

Comment

Fly maggots are the chepest and more nutricious food if you are comparing maggots and mealworms.

Mealworms due to thier diet of bran and bread) need to be "gut loaded" (allowed to feed on a nutricious diet just before feeding) before feeding to the prey item.

Feeding mealworms only risks under noureshing your spiders.

Not only that Mealworms turn into very nasty beetles which your spider will not be able to kill but has a good chance of killing your spider!

Maggots dont need to be fed can be kept in the fridge till needed, if they are not eaten turn into pupae then flies which are harmless to spiders.

Ray H You ahve had some experiance with mealworms?

Ray G

Comment

Hi Ray I have do disagree with you there there's no proof that meal worms (gut loaded or not ) or fruit fly's have a detrimental effect on theraphosids I have used maggots for years now and they are indeed a staple diet however if your missus is anything like mine she just cant stand all the fly's buzzing around when they get out ( and they will!! ). The Americans have been feeding meal worms for a long time now and have found that they are a staple diet and seem to bring on there spiderlings quite well personally I think its all a matter of choice you can go with maggots like I have and have the fly's or use meal worms that last ages and bring on your spiderling quite well gut loadings optional the same as crickets we could argue that maggots lack the vital exoskeleton thus cause soft moults however look at many theraphosids in the wild who's staple diet consists of tree frogs or vermin who's to say again its down to personal choice or how much you have on you when your buying feeder goods lol. At the end of the day meal worms are working for me fine even richard Gallons tiny H villosella will take them and they have all moulted out fine like the numerous other spp I feed on a regular basis

Comment

Thanks for all the advise, i've ordered some meal worms, but i'll also feed crickets as well. I've moved the slings in to more suitable containers with a much drier substrate and they are eating a massive amout. Each sling has eaten about 6 or 7 micro crickets today alone. So in future i might move to small crickets.

Thank again all.

Comment

I've now fed my slings meal worms and they appear to love them. Its quite cute how they wrestle with them. Its quite amusing how my slings also have gained 'Ghetto Booty'.

Thanks for the advice all

Comment

Yeh I totally agree lol

I see you baby shakin that ass!

Shakin that ass! shakin that ass!

Comment

Working...
                      X