PDA

View Full Version : Drutt my silver trapdoor spider (Cyphonisia sp) feeding

Matthew Baines
08-07-08, 11:04 AM
This is a short video of my Cyphonisia sp. Silver Trapdoor spider catching its prey what ever you do dont blink!!!!! Its also the first time i had ever seen it catch its prey enjoy!!!

YouTube - Drutt the trapdoor spider catching his dinner

Colin D Wilson
08-07-08, 12:06 PM
My lad Shane picked up two Gorgyrella sp. from Martin at the BTS show (a red and black Tanzanian species).
They're both a little more shy than yours and only seem to eat when the lids on.
Although i think when James came up for the day He and Shane did manage to watch the large Red take a cricket.

Matthew Baines
08-07-08, 12:44 PM
It has a healthy appetite it had 2 crickets the day i got it and another 1 this morning but that was the first of many times i hope i get too see it in action .

Luke Anthony
08-07-08, 04:25 PM
That was a very good video if you dont mind me asking but what does it do with the waste?

Matthew Baines
08-07-08, 05:25 PM
i have no idea you know. Good question! Furniture? Camouflage? I not seen it produce any waste or at least not seen any dumped anywhere.

Colin D Wilson
08-07-08, 05:35 PM
The "very" dry food bolus is normally flicked out the trapdoor, so look round the edges of the tub.
When they do their "liquid" waste they shoot it out quite a distance, i'd look inside the tub lid for some yellow goo. :)

Luke Anthony
08-07-08, 07:30 PM
Wow that is pretty good(lol putting the trash bin out) its just i tought if the waste stayed down there with it it might turn mouldy wich would be bad and hard to clean out thnaks;)

Matthew Baines
08-07-08, 08:03 PM
yeah that cleared it up for me too cheers will be cheching for pellets now :D

James Box
11-07-08, 09:59 AM
nice video!
i've been tempted by the silver ones...very nice creatures.

Colin's right, did manage to see his and Shane's red one trying to take a cricket, though i can't remember if it succeeded. was very secretive and knew exactly when to strike.

i like the evil cackle at the end! haha

JoanAllen
21-05-09, 06:36 AM
my dad has one of them and ive never seen it feed, seen my dad put crickets in return and they are gone though.

Lisa Baines
21-05-09, 09:12 AM
the joy of trapdoor spiders :D