Aphonopelma in Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aphonopelma in Arkansas

Wariner, M. 2008. Distribution and taxonomic status of Aphonopelma in Arkansas. Journal of the Arkansas Academy of Science. 62: 107-114.

CLICK HERE to download the article.

Abstract:
    The genus Aphonopelma (Theraphosidae) is marked by a dearth of distributional data and a problematic taxonomy. To develop occurrence information for the genus in Arkansas, I conducted a citizen-science based survey augmented by field work and examination of museum collections. Results of these efforts yielded a significant amount of data that enabled the construction of a county level map of Aphonopelma distribution in Arkansas; a resource hitherto unavailable. Three Aphonopelma species have been described as occurring in Arkansas: A. baergi, A. hentzi, and A. odelli. Specimens were collected from Arkansas and Oklahoma to evaluate taxonomic and historical issues concerning the three species. Morphologically, the specimen series examined comprised a relatively homogeneous group most similar to descriptions of A. hentzi. In light of comparison with specimens examined for this study, species descriptions of A. baergi and A. odelli are marked by such taxonomic uncertainty as to challenge their validity and presence in Arkansas.

Eric
    MY FLICKR

Thanks Eric

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
    X