No announcement yet.

article: Mutualism in Ramanella nagaoi and Poecilotheria species from Sri Lanka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• article: Mutualism in Ramanella nagaoi and Poecilotheria species from Sri Lanka

• KARUNARATHNA, D. M. S. S. & A. A. T. AMARASINGHE (2009): Mutualism in Ramanella nagaoi Manamendra-Arachchi & Pethiyagoda, 2001 (Amphibia: Microhylidae) and Poecilotheria species (Arachnida: Thereposidae) from Sri Lanka. Taprobanica 01(01): 16-18.

Abstract
      Ramanella nagaoi is an endemic an vulnerable species of Family Microhylidae distributed in lowland wet one rain forests and reproduce and live in and around tree hollows. This article presents some aspects of mutualism of R. nagaoi with Poecilotheria ornata and P. (cf.) subfusca thereposid spiders in random field visits during the past seven years. This is the first observation of this symbiotic behaviour.

all the best,
    Martin
    »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Where might we find this article please?
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post

Where might we find this article please?
      ...in your mailbox! =

BTW, other articles which deal with tarantulas & frogs:
      • COCROFT, R. B. & K. HAMBLER (1989): Observations on a commensal relationship of the microhylid frog Chismocleis ventrimaculata and the burrowing theraphosid spider Xenestis immanis in southeastern Peru. Biotropica 21(1): 2-8.
        (remark: even it is mentioned in the title, the species in the article is NOT Xenesthis immanis but a Pamphobeteus species; very likely the so called "chicken spider")
      • CSAKANY, J. (2002): Study on the Chemical Communication between the Microhylid Frog, Chiasmocleis ventrimaculatata, and a Theraphosid Spider involved in a Commensal Relationship.
      • EMERTON, J. H. (1926): Spiders Eating Snakes. Psyche 33(2): 60.
      • HAMILTON, D. E. & C. N. CRAIG (200: Incident of Temporary Burrow Appropriation by a Checkered Garter Snake, Thamnophis marcianus, from a North American Tarantula Aphonopelma hollyi. Southwestern Entomologist 33(4): 319-320.
      • HIRSCHI, H. (1991): Biotopstudien, Beobachtungen und Überlegungen zur Lebensweise verschiedener Vogelspinnen-Arten in Costa Rica und Ecuador, Teil II. Arachnol. Anz. 20: 14-17.
      • HOOIJER, A. (2005): Interesting encounter in Tamarindo, Costa Rica. British Tarantula Society Journal 20(4): 120-123.
      • HUNT, R. H. (1980): Toad sanctuary in a tarantula burrow. Nat. His. 89(3): 48-53.
      • POWELL, R., L. W. LITTLE & D. D. SMITH (1984): Eine Wohngemeinschaft von Physalaemus pustulosus (Cope, 1864) (Salientia: Leptodactylidae) mit einer bodenbewohnenden Vogelspinne. Salamandra 20(4): 273-274.
      • SILIWAL, M. & B. RAVICHANDRAN (200: Commensalism in Microhylid frogs and mygalomorph spiders. Zoos' Print Magazine XXIII(: 13.
      »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Thank you very much Martin, and thanks for the other articles I asked for. Well done, I owe you a pint.

Comment

Anyone have a copy of this paper please?
          Ray

Comment

I'd be really grateful for a copy too please if you or Peter could help me out Martin
            sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Ray, you have mail

Comment

Until you all get a copy, I have an older thread on ATS which shows a toad living communally with Aphonopelma hentzi, while Martin's article is new and very interesting news, my stuff is old but has pictures.

Of course the heat index right now across the area is well over 100F.

Now where do I get a copy... need something great to read in the air conditioning.

Christian
                They've got oour names! It's the pris'n hoose for us!

Comment

you have mail Christian

Comment

For those who like me still doesn't have this article here's the link to the official site of the Journal with all articles abstract downloadable in *pdf format:
                    All the best,
                    Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Working...
                    X