PDA

View Full Version : cyriocosmus bertae - egg sac

chris raeburn
06-01-10, 11:30 AM
Hi All,

At the end of Nov paired 3 females (sourced spidershop as slings approx year ago) with a MM on loan from John Waite.

All paired by putting female's open container into his larger one and leaving overnight, so minimal disturbance (and i can't be hanging around for the 1 - 2 hours these littluns take to mate) but little chance for photos.

1 moulted - and going back in with him now she's ready again.

1 thinking about it - she's gone to ground so i'm hopeful

and one clutching a sac.

Fingers crossed!

(particularly as just before Christmas had 3 perez-milesi females hold a simultaneous midnight sac feast just a couple of days before the due date - ouch! - so i'm tip-toeing round them as i don't want a repeat of this)

All best,

Chris

Rebecca Norris
09-01-10, 05:44 PM
I'd be interested in a few babies if all goes well please :D

andy hood
09-01-10, 09:30 PM
Great result chris. hope all goes well

chris raeburn
01-02-10, 04:28 AM
Hi all,

An update on these.

The moulted female paired again and feeding well - fingers crossed.

The paired female, gone to ground, produced a 'tatty' sac, clutched it for a couple of days then ate it.

The third, with the sac, has held it for 5 weeks - and was very upset when i took it off her tonight. After my perez-milesi failure i've barely been able to wait this long.

I cut a flap, lifted it up and out crawled a littlun. Just moulted by the looks of it. There are plenty more inside from what I can see but none of the others were in a hurry to exit so I've stuck the whole sac in an incubator until they're ready.

Can't wait to see how many are in there.

Thanks for comments - and i'll keep you in mind for when they're good to go.

Chris

John Waite
01-02-10, 07:44 AM
Well done Chris, great job mate.

Cheers

John

Jamie Brady
01-02-10, 11:29 AM
Well done buddy, great result! :D

Phil Rea
01-02-10, 12:08 PM
Well done Chris :)

Oliver Mullins
07-02-10, 10:10 AM
If these are a success Chris and you sell them please can you keep me in mind for a couple please. Best of luck

chris raeburn
13-03-10, 01:11 PM
Just to wrap this one up - here's a couple of pics post hatch, the first after they had emerged from the sac - 89 in all, the second a week later once they had moulted. They are now feeding on micro-crickets and doing fine.

I'll be in touch with those who've expressed an interest once the weather warms - had a catastrophe posting John's 50% in the cold weather with half arriving dead or dying!

Chris