Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

African taxonomy paper out - name changes galore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African taxonomy paper out - name changes galore!

Gallon, R. C. 2010. On some Southern African Harpactirinae, with notes on the eumenophorines Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885 and Monocentropella Strand, 1907 (Araneae, Theraphosidae). Bull. Br. arachnol. Soc., 15 (2): 29-48.

Summary
    The taxonomy of five species of Southern African Harpactirinae and two species of Eumenophorinae from East and West Africa is addressed. Two new species of Harpactirinae are proposed: Harpactirella overdijki sp. n. and Idiothele mira sp. n. Idiothele nigrofulva (Pocock, 1898 ) is redescribed from its types and fresh topotypic material. The previously unknown male of the harpactirine Ceratogyrus paulseni Gallon, 2005 is described. Ceratogyrus ezendami Gallon, 2001 is transferred to the genus Augacephalus and diagnosed from its two congeners Augacephalus breyeri (Hewitt, 1919) and A. junodi (Simon, 1904). The eumenophorine genus Pelinobius Karsch, 1885 is revalidated and proposed as a senior synonym of Citharischius Pocock, 1900. Phoneyusa gregori Pocock, 1897, Phoneyusa bettoni Pocock, 1898, Citharischius crawshayi Pocock, 1900 and Phoneyusa rufa Berland, 1914 are treated as junior synonyms of Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885. The monotypic genus Monocentropella Strand, 1907 is treated here as a junior synonym of Eumenophorus Pocock, 1897.

The PDF of this paper will be available for download from this site as soon as I receive it. I only have the paper version at the moment.

Repercussions for hobbyists: Citharischius crawshayi is now called Pelinobius muticus Karsch, 1885. Ceratogyrus ezendami is now called Augacephalus ezendami (same spider as Augacephalus sp. Mozambique). Idiothele sp. Blue Foot is now called Idiothele mira.
    Last edited by Richard Gallon; 15-08-10, 02:09 PM.

Look forward to reading this one
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Comment

Wow!
      Great changes! Hope to read it soon!
      All the best,
      Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by craig mcinnes View Post
        Look forward to reading this one
        Ditto

Lets hope it irons out some enigmas that have had people scratching their heads for a few years
        Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Looking forward t reading it. Thanks Richard
          www.flickr.com/photos/craigmackay/sets

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Interesting from what I can understand .

When it says the C.crawshayi is proposed as a junior synonym does that mean it's up for consideration for reclassification or that it has been as from a few remarks on another forum it seems that it's now being treated as changed but the language in the summary uses the word 'proposed' which suggests that it's only a point of view at the moment and not an accomplished fact .

Comment

Everything in taxonomy is "only a point of view", a hypothesis. Citharischius crawshayi being treated (or proposed) as a junior synonym of Pelinobius muticus means the two species (well, actually it's two *names* since they are one and the same species ) are synonymous, and because P. muticus is the older name [Karsch, 1885] compared to C. crawshayi [Pocock 1990], P. muticus remains the valid name. Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!
              Spider Myths | Curious Taxonomy | The World Spider Catalog - Theraphosidae

"We are all taxonomists." -Judith Winston
              "The laws of biology are written in the language of diversity." -Edward Osborne Wilson
              "Principle of Priority - the oldest fool is always right!" -H. Segers & Y. Samyn

Comment

thanks for the hard work, Richard! very exciting stuff! it'll take time to get used to Pelinobius muticus, but it's certainly easier to say!
                and i wish i still had my A. ezendami...she was a beautiful girl

btw Richard, i really liked your lecture on Saturday. very interesting! i've got a soft spot in my heart for African Theraphosids, even though i don't have that many now.
                Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
                X