Blu-tac and tarantulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blu-tac and tarantulas

I use small amounts of blu-tac in my spider tanks to hold cork bark in place, and fix fake plants to the sides. However, I've heard that it is not a wise idea to have blu-tac in a spider set-up as it releases some form of toxin - I'm not sure what exactly.

Can anyone give me any more information on this, and does anyone have any suggestions of what I can use as a substitute? I need to fix my plants in there somehow. I really don't want to use silicon sealant or a glue gun, because it means removing all of my spiders whilst it dries and I just don't have enough room to do that.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Blu-tak

Yes - somebody once wrote an article in the Jornal way back about how blu-tak killed one of his spiders. He was using to fix things in place too.

You could try melted candle wax (obviously the scent-less kind). That way you don't have to re-do the tank.

Comment

Hi
      Yes you have to be careful in what you use. I am not sure if blue tac is toxic. However using clear silicon sealant may be even more dangerous. This gives off acetic acid fumes whilst curing. Now if you want to build a your own tank and use this to fix cork bark or plants in place then I see no problems if you give the whole thing time to breath and disperse the fumes and a quick wash out with water does the rest. I have been using this since I started keeping tarantulas back in the early 80's when I made all my own tanks and used clear silicone sealant etc. I just give it time to disperse the fumes of the acetic acid. All is fine after that.

Should you want to fix things while your T is in situ? I recommend jet melt glue, often call hot melt glue. These guns can be bought from Woolworths or similar type shops. They use glue that’s heated then cools to set, hence no fumes or dangerous chemicals.

Hope this helps
      Regards
      Mark

------------------------------------------------------
      Serious Ink tattoo studio -
      Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
      My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

We actually have a glue gun stashed in the cupboard somewhere, but I was concerned about any fumes it might let off. However, seeing as it dries so quick I don't suppose it'd be a problem. I'll see if I can dig it out and do some experimenting.

Thanks muchly for the advice.

Comment

Working...
        X