Moisture stratified substrate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moisture stratified substrate

Does any one else use this method of keeping humidity levels high? I found it after reading Jacobi's new book and it seems to be working great. Just by running water down one cage wall so that the lower level is fairly damp while the upper inch or so is barely moist. Therefore making layers of substrate of varying dampness (moisture stratified).

'Moisture from the bottom of the substrate will evaporate over time and increase humidity without causing the ground that the tarantula lives on to become wet'

I've found that this method reduces the risk of mites and also creates a more stable humidity and less maintainence.

I also use the evaporation from the water dish and partially cover the lid to keep humidity levels stable. Of course this method is adjusted for the particular species requirements.

Just wondering if anyone else has/does use this method and your opinions of it? In my opinion, I have found that it does create a more stable humidity and less maintainence, and creates a cleaner environment for the spider as the substrate is not constantly soaked from the top down. The top layer is always dry preventing mites or fungus.

I even used it as a way of giving my Pelinobius muticus water by running water down the side of the tank, then it soaked through the substrate and dripped onto the floor of her burrow giving her a drink before it evaporates. Good as she always tips her water dish up and uses the dish as a cover for her burrow. Everytime I fill the dish she comes out and does it, but i've never actually seen her out of her burrow and im in that spider room A LOT.

Hope to hear of your thoughts of this
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Silly me put in wrong section. Sorry...
    David Attenborough:
    ‘It seems to me that the issue of conservation of the natural world is something that can unite humanity if people know enough about it. Persuade them to change the way in which they behave, to change the view that gross materialism and the search for material wealth is not the only thing in life.’

Comment

I swear by sophosticat pink cat litter, one thick layer at the bottom of the tank and the humidity is buffered much better than just coir or other substrate alone.
      See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

Working...
      X