What do people thing of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people thing of this

I know i shouldnt link to another forum,but this annoys me greatly,and if i was to say what i thought about this on that forum i dont think i would be allowed back!
    Just Have a read yourself
    http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/show...threadid=20162
    Cheers
    Brendan

If he follows it through then it could be an experiment with interesting results.
    You need to read the accompanying thread to understand - any offspring produced are going to trusted hobbyists who will not breed them - just keep, photograph and observe them.
    What I think he should do is keep most of the offspring himself, and when they mature, mate them with each other and pure cambridgei/irminia specimens, so you get

irminia x hybrid
    cambridgei x hybrid
    hybrid x hybrid

And see if there are offspring - and more importantly if they are fertile.
    Given the rapid growth rates of both these species It's a feasible project.

Careful noting of what is what would be essential, but I see no reason for it not to be done. We don't know an awful lot about tarantulas when it comes to hybridisation over generations so I think the results could prove useful.

Remember there are a lot of people out there (Volker springs to mind) breeding deliberate hybrids to try and get a better understanding of T genetics and so on.

As long as he isn't selling them to the general public/pet trade, I don't think he's doing anything wrong.

Comment

Remember there are a lot of people out there (Volker springs to mind) breeding deliberate hybrids to try and get a better understanding of T genetics and so on
      The problem is Volker has credability and this guy doesnt.He,s just bored and was stuck with a male that he didnt know what to do with it!

If he follows it through then it could be an experiment with interesting results.
      Id rather leave this to people who know what they are doing,like as you said volker who has good knowledge!Not some guy wjo just sitting there twiddling his tumbs cos he got stuck with a male!

any offspring produced are going to trusted hobbyists who will not breed them
      And a good saying by Guy Quote "all the points others have made are valid but there's one thing you can't trust in this hobby and that's people"

I think we have enough spiders to sort out at the moment than to going making more work for ourselfs,i think we should leave Hybrids to people who know what they are doing!
      Cheers
      Brendan

Comment

What do people think of this

Well - not a lot!!

Why bother . Both species are great - I've heard that their hybrids are wishy-washy. I'd much prefer to keep two separate good-looking species than have boring, wishy-washy hybrids.

Good job both species have BTS national collections in the UK. At least we'll have clean-stock

Comment

I hope people won't ruin this hobby with new "beutiful species" ... take aquaristics for an example with all the "beatiful" colourful fish with their "beatiful" fins (some fish can hardly swim!).

Comment

Why Do So Many People Do This Sort Of Thing, Personally I Dont See The Point Of Cross Breeding T's. There Are So Many Colorful Species Out There!
            Maybe These "Experiments" Should Be Carried Out To Check Out Gene Patterns and Other Genetic Principles, But Maybe In A Lab And Not In Keepers Home!
            On The Bright Side Atleast The Guy Said The S'lings Wont Get Distributed, Lets Just Hope They Wont!
            "Steps Down Off Soap Box"
            First Post And Im Already Preaching ahhh, Never Mind Anyway Great New Board!

Comment

Hi everyone
              Don't panic this p cambridgei cross p irminia has been done before by Arthur Bordes of the Bronx New York in the 1970's and guess what he found the resulting young were all infertile also the colour was not as nice as the adult specimens.
              So the resulting young are not going to be brightly coloured or fertile so there will be no plague of hibrids.

Comment

Hello Darren,

Originally posted by DBaines

Don't panic this p cambridgei cross p irminia has been done before by Arthur Bordes of the Bronx New York in the 1970's
                sure it has been P. cambridgei X P. irminia? P. irminia has been described by SAAGER in 1994. According to this paper this species has been discovered in March 1991:
                • SAAGER, F. (1994): Psalmopoeus irminia sp. n., Beschreibung einer neuen Aviculariinae (Theraphosidae, Aviculariinae, Genus Psalmopeous) inclusive einem Vergleich mit Psalmopoeus cambridgei. Arthropoda 2(4): 59-71.

BTW, another article about keeping and breeding P. irminia before it has been described:
                • HAVRILLA-UNSINN, S. (1994): Meine Erfahrungen mit der Haltung und Zucht von Psalmopoeus spec. ex Venezuela. Arachnol. Mag. 2(2): 11-13.

and guess what he found the resulting young were all infertile also the colour was not as nice as the adult specimens.
                So the resulting young are not going to be brightly coloured or fertile so there will be no plague of hibrids.
                I don't know what Arthur Bordes of the Bronx New York has cross-bred but I know of P. cambridgei X P. irminia crosses which had been fertile and bred in the third generation – unfortunately these datas haven't been publish.

all the best,
                Martin
                »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

Hi Guys
                  This is my first post, so here goes, I think this is ok if it stays with the person who is doing the project. But if they get out and people start inter breeding. It's quite possible it would end up like the dog breeders, quite a few dogs now are that much interbred. For instence the bull dog it can hardly breath because of inter breeding.

But as I said before if it stays with the guy who is doing the project then have the results printed for people to read that would be fine with me. But at the moment I've just started in the hobby and hope to get a good collection without collecting mutants.

Hope this sounds ok, when I get chatting I don't know when to stop lol.
                  By for now guys.
                  Roy (bigred)

Comment

Working...
                  X