Dyskenetic syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyskenetic syndrome

My regalis is still no better, but no worse. I have had a scoot around on the interweb and found out about Dyskenetic syndrome

From what I have read, it seems like my regalis has it.

Is there anything I can do for it?

Kain

Unfortunately no. in the very few cases I have heard of the spider dies after a month or 2

Comment

Get the unwell spiders away from the others i had a spider with the same problem and it spread to another 5 and they all died, It doesnt show until about a month or another molt in the other spiders. i know it sounds cruel but i would say put it in the freezer and ease its suffering.
      Andy

Comment

Hi Kain,
        this syndrome is what my P. metallica died of. Whilst I hope you are mistaken and it is something else, if it is Dyskenetic syndrme then you have all my deepest sympathy. Also I was unaware it was infectious. Whilst all my spiders are kept seperately, my old P. metallica tank is now being used again by a P. striata. I hope my spider will be ok and if anyone can shed some more light on this I would really be grateful.
        sigpicHate is for people who find thinking a little too complicated!

Comment

Is it shaking uncontrollably? When it tries to move, does it scuttle in the same place seeming to have absolutely no control over its limbs Kain? Those are the symptoms.

If it is, then unfortunately I think the kindest thing would be to euthanase it.

My Collection:

Comment

Yup Phil, thats exactly what it's doing.

It keeps like falling over and having like a kind of fit. Whats the best painfree way to euthanase it?

Kain

Comment

Kain, the easiest and most humane (if there is such a thing) way is to pop it into a small plastic tub and place it in the freezer over night.

Sorry mate

Colin
              Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Thanks Colin

Kain

Comment

HI guys and i'm sorry to butt in on the side like this but i just couldn't go by without reacting to the comment
                  the easiest and most humane
                  followed by
                  freezer

Guys this is a myth based on whats less messy for us!!! and is absolutely untrue..It's not quick and it's not without discomfort.........But yes, it is easy.

If you put a creature in the freezer without it first being in a container you'll notice that (especially spiders) will have moved around quite a bit leaving tracks in the ice crystals and moving away from the original position..It's not quick!!

Also it's suspected that ice crystals enter the book lungs leaving your spider to die slowly of asphyxiation which is very much uncomfortable..

I'm sorry to say it but if you want quick and humane then lay your spider on a hard surface and drop a paving slab on it..........Thats quick!

Theres another method which involves placing ether/spirits/alcohol in a container letting that be in the freezer overnight and then immerse your spider or whatever in it and put it back in the freezer......It's pretty quick but involves a bit if planning and at the end of the day it's still not as quick as a heavy blunt instrument...!

Comment

Well was just about to freeze it, but it has already died naturally.

Totally gutted.

Kain

Comment

Bryan, no problem with butting in mate.

just to clarify though, I never said "quick" and i added " if there is such a thing" because in the freezer scenario it's not, i agree.

The "easiest" part is related to the person who pops it in the freezer, when the doors closed, the average person can put it out of mind for a while.

You're right in the paving slab scenario being quick, but a bit messy.

I (if it calls for it) either inject the abdomen with , or drop ethyl acetate on the book lungs with a syringe, the point here is i'll bet 90% of tarantula hobbyists don't have ethyl acetate on their shelves.

The despatching of insects has always had endless pro's and con's, from butterfly collecting through to euthanasia of severely injured insects / arachnids. I think, at the end of the day, people have different levels of concern for the word "humane"

this could turn out to be another good debate.

Kain, sorry about the regalis mate.

Colin

Comment

What actually causes Dyskenetic syndrome? Is it something I ahve done wrong?

Kain

Comment

Up untill a few days ago i'd only come across Dyskinetic syndrome once with one of my "special needs" students in the late 90's, and this was connected to Cerebral Palsy.

From doing a bit of quick web research it seems, in simple terms, in tarantulas Dyskinetic syndrome is a loss of control over the nervous system due to either parasites / fungus / bacteria or pesticide laden foodstuff, that seems to be the census of the arach' forums.
                          It's obviousely apparent in the hobby, but i never came across it when i wrote my paper on parasitology for my degree, mind you that was a while ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth

will have to pay a visit to the university library.

Comment

my sympathies...very sad to lose a pet like that!
                            i hope i never am faced with a choice like that...
                            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                            My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Whoops, sorry about that Colin. I've just read back through the postings and can see that nowhere have you mentioned "quick"...

I used to freeze all my inverts if the occasion arose where i thought it was neccessary but nowadays i don't. The creature is evidently allready in discomfort when you put it in the freezer (otherwise it wouldn't be going in the freezer) so why compound that discomfort by subjecting the creature to very uncomfortable sub-minus temperatures.

As you mention Colin the whole "myth" has come about simply because of whats easiest for us.....open the door and then shut the door...couldn't be easier....I've even had people who have absolutely no idea about what happens when you put a spider in the freezer swear to me that this is the "best and most humane" method of putting down handicapped or terminally ill spiders...!!! go figure!
                              It's as if someone with a bit of clout mentioned this years ago and now everyone else takes it for granted that it's right.
                              I'm saddened sometimes when i think about all the hobbiests around the world who put their animals in the freezer and they are doing it because they really believe it is quick and painless (not to mention those B*******S who freeze newborn mice, rats and chickens!!).........The truth is that it's a very unpleasent death and anyone who really cares for their animals owe's it both to themselves and their animals to adopt other methods when the need arises.

Comment

Working...
                              X