Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference between spiders and tarantulas

Default Difference between spiders and tarantulas

Can someone please explain the difference between 'spiders' and 'tarantulas'? i.e. the how the family tree thing works!!

Thank you in advance
    Jamie loves ya!

Tarantulas are a type of spider, belonging to the family Theraphosidae. I asked this question a while ago on the T-Store, here:

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/i...hl=tarsal+claw

Thanks but I wasn't able to read that link!
    Jamie loves ya!

Something may be found here: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/570#Dif
    All the best,
    Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Olsinia View Post
    Tarantulas are a type of spider, belonging to the family Theraphosidae. I asked this question a while ago on the T-Store, here:

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/i...hl=tarsal+claw

can i correct you there please michael, tarantulas and spiders are two types of arachnid, a tarantula is not a spider. about the only thing that they have in common is that they both have 8 legs. anatomically they are completely different. if ya wanan know the differences, just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Quote Originally Posted by matthew spooner View Post
    can i correct you there please michael, tarantulas and spiders are two types of arachnid, a tarantula is not a spider. about the only thing that they have in common is that they both have 8 legs. anatomically they are completely different. if ya wanan know the differences, just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
    ehh Off course tarantulas are spiders they are just a different sub order from Areanomorphae spiders (true spiders to people who think there is such a thing as a true spider ).

Tarantulas (I use the term tarantula as meaning Theraphosid spiders) are in the sub order of Mygalomorphae but they are still spiders, if they are not then what are they false spiders?

BTW Mesothelae are different again from Areanomorphae and Mygalomorphae yet they remain just as spiderie as the rest because they too are spiders.

all the best
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by matthew spooner View Post
    c just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
    ...not quite, Araneomorph spiders share everything with tarantulas except for the direction in which their fangs point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pajak View Post
    ...not quite, Araneomorph spiders share everything with tarantulas except for the direction in which their fangs point.
    think you will find a few more differences than just the way the fangs are posititioned if you look into it a little more.
    All the best
    Chris

agreed...................................

thats what i love about this site, not only can you learn something new, you can be corrected on previously misinformed information. i feel like a nit wit now and i am going to sit in the corner and cry like a baby lol. sorry for giving you misguided information jamie and sorry michael for correcting you on already correct information, thanks chris and mark for putting me right on this subject
    Last edited by matthew spooner; 24-05-08 at 07:58 AM. Reason: duff keyboard
    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast