Difference between spiders and tarantulas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between spiders and tarantulas

Can someone please explain the difference between 'spiders' and 'tarantulas'? i.e. the how the family tree thing works!!

Thank you in advance
    Jamie loves ya!

Tarantulas are a type of spider, belonging to the family Theraphosidae. I asked this question a while ago on the T-Store, here:

My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Thanks but I wasn't able to read that link!
      Jamie loves ya!

Comment

Something may be found here: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru/en/node/570#Dif
        All the best,
        Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Olsinia View Post
          Tarantulas are a type of spider, belonging to the family Theraphosidae. I asked this question a while ago on the T-Store, here:

http://www.the-t-store.co.uk/forum/i...hl=tarsal+claw

can i correct you there please michael, tarantulas and spiders are two types of arachnid, a tarantula is not a spider. about the only thing that they have in common is that they both have 8 legs. anatomically they are completely different. if ya wanan know the differences, just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
          THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
            can i correct you there please michael, tarantulas and spiders are two types of arachnid, a tarantula is not a spider. about the only thing that they have in common is that they both have 8 legs. anatomically they are completely different. if ya wanan know the differences, just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
            ehh Off course tarantulas are spiders they are just a different sub order from Areanomorphae spiders (true spiders to people who think there is such a thing as a true spider ).

Tarantulas (I use the term tarantula as meaning Theraphosid spiders) are in the sub order of Mygalomorphae but they are still spiders, if they are not then what are they false spiders?

BTW Mesothelae are different again from Areanomorphae and Mygalomorphae yet they remain just as spiderie as the rest because they too are spiders.

all the best
            Chris

Comment

Originally posted by matthew spooner View Post
              c just think of eveyrthing apart from number of legs and they will be different lol
              ...not quite, Araneomorph spiders share everything with tarantulas except for the direction in which their fangs point.
              See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pajak View Post
                ...not quite, Araneomorph spiders share everything with tarantulas except for the direction in which their fangs point.
                think you will find a few more differences than just the way the fangs are posititioned if you look into it a little more.
                All the best
                Chris

Comment

agreed...................................
                  See my new blog about Bristol's bug life: Bristol Loves Bugs

Comment

thats what i love about this site, not only can you learn something new, you can be corrected on previously misinformed information. i feel like a nit wit now and i am going to sit in the corner and cry like a baby lol. sorry for giving you misguided information jamie and sorry michael for correcting you on already correct information, thanks chris and mark for putting me right on this subject
                    Last edited by matthew spooner; 24-05-08, 08:58 AM. Reason: duff keyboard
                    THE SOUTH EAST ARACHNID SHOW, SUNDAY 29TH JANUARY, ASHFORD INTERNATIONAL HOTEL, JUNCTION 10 M20

Comment

If I am correct, and I'm probably not but there ya go, tarantulas have scopula (the pads of hairs on their feet) as well as tarsal claws. 'True' spiders only have the claws and lack the hairs. Which is why house spiders get stuck in the bath, but the OBT you took there to rehouse has absolutely no trouble cheesing it up the side and hiding behind the shampoo bottles.

(pretty sure there is an exception to this where at least one type of araneomorph spider has scopula, but generally it's true, and I thought it was a fun fact.)

Comment

Well, I thought I'd use this site to learn, and I certainly am learning!! Thanks for you replies people. keep them coming if anyone else can explain further.
                        Jamie loves ya!

Comment

Hi, seek out the book Biology Of Spiders by Foelix ( any search engine will take you there).

Basically Tarantulas (Mygalomorphs) have fangs that strike in a vertical plain Ie in a downward motion whilst true spiders (areaneomorphs) have fangs that strike in a horizontal plain i.i in a sideways motion.

Also one has book lungs whilst the other has a complex method of respiration.

There are of course others differences. The book is a modern classic and well worth finding. Oh and Mat come on mate sort it out. I feel a ribbiing coming on next time we meet...LOL
                          British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                          The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                          On
                          [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

correct me if I am wrong but one diffence is that tarantulas have 2 pairs of book lungs and so called true spiders on have only one pair.

not sure if that is what you were pointing out ray
                            "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
                            Jeremy Bentham

Comment

Spiders have developed several different respiratory anatomies, based either on book lungs, a tracheal system, or both. Mygalomorph and Mesothelae spiders have two pairs of book lungs where openings on the ventral surface of the abdomen allow air to enter and diffuse oxygen. This is also the case for some araneomorph spiders like the family Hypochilidae, but the remaining members of this group have just the anterior pair of book lungs intact while the posterior pair of breathing organs are partly or fully modified into tracheae, through which oxygen is diffused into the haemolymph or directly to the tissue and organs.

Among smaller araneomorph spiders we can find species who have evolved also the anterior pair of book lungs into trachea, or the remaining book lungs are simply reduced or missing, and in a very few the book lungs have developed deep channels, apparently signs of evolution into tracheae.

source:ATS site
                              Last edited by Ray Hale; 25-05-08, 07:44 PM.
                              British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
                              The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
                              On
                              [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Working...
                              X