Haplopelma longipes, minax, or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplopelma longipes, minax, or ?

Above you will note that I have been tring to ID these two haplos I got from a local LPS. I have pics 1.5 months after last molt to help us determine the species. If I have to I am willing to mail the molt out in hopes of a positive ID.
    Here are the pics, and this is some info I pulled on line - http://www.eightlegs.org/phpBB2/species.html - once there click on Ornithoctoninae. I am still rather clueless on the actual ID and need to find out so I can sell them or keep them. They just don't float my boat that much, but the longer I have them the harder it will be for me to get rid of them.

Thanks, and does any one know how to contact Volker von Wirth?
    Regards,
    TRAVIS KNUDTSON - Has Madigascar Hissers for sale - Click For More Details
    Rare female Charina Bottae Trade 4 P. Metallica unsexed sling - Slither Here
    My Reviews

pretty sure its h,minax

cheers
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Pennell View Post
      pretty sure its h,minax

cheers
      Mark
      What gives it away as minax, IYO?
      My Reviews

Comment

Ocular Arrangement

My Reviews

Comment

Spermathecae

My Reviews

Comment

Hi Travis
            Not that any ID from a picture is 100% accurate as this is just not possible especially in beat up Ornithoctoninae. My guess was just based on a purely visual first impression. Perhaps I should have worded it a little different

IE: It looks more H, minax than H,longipes. As it does look very minax to me looking at these and comparing these images.

Does yours have a patch of long hair on metIV and tarsi IV its hard to tell from that image. I believe H, longipes has this.

However as you have access to this tarantula this paper might help you work out what you have.

Also you can message Volker from this sight as he is a member here, I sure he would be able to 100% ID with access to the exuvium.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
            Mark

PS:I was writing this as you posted the last images...
            Last edited by Mark Pennell; 08-12-08, 08:34 PM.

------------------------------------------------------
            Serious Ink tattoo studio -
            Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members

Comment

That helps immensely! Now I can rule out H. Longipes. Too bad it didn't have Minax images to compare.
              My Reviews

Comment

Ocular comparison of H. longipes vs H. sp(?)

Confirmed H. longipes.............................vs........... .......................H. sp(?)
                My Reviews

Comment

Travis, first of all hi and welcome to the forum from me.

Well, as much as i'm into haplos' it's H minax on first impressions for me too...
                  The occular arrangement suggests it's not longipes to me if the image on left is confirmed.

Colin
                  p.s. Have edited your links in your signature so they work now ok mate.
                  Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hi,

It is most important to check the leg relation: Leg I and Leg IV should be quite equal (source 1, source 2, source 3),
                    and then to check the stridulation organ (source 4).

...and then you can say that there is a big chance to have the real H.minax

Regards,
                    Tomasz
                    "There's No Escaping
                    Their Web of Terror..."

Visit my site at: http://ptaszniki.com.pl

Comment

Ocular Tubercle Overlay

For those that can't see the difference that easily, this should help.
                      LOL, they kinda go Boo, don't they?

The longipes ocular tubercle is from http://www.striffler.net/papers/von_...a_longipes.pdf , "
                      Abb. 22: Augenhügel von
                      Haplopelma longipes sp. n. ♀ [Paratyp

BMNH (E) 2005-153, VvWC 1/R.W./150903]"
                      I enlarged and and highlighted/touched up the image to demonstrate the ocular arangements. Then I made this nice little overlay to show just how different these two are.
                      My Reviews

Comment

close up scan of spermathecae both posterior and anterior sides

Anterior Spermathecae, aka ventral

Posterior Spermathecae, aka dorsal
                        Last edited by Travis Knudtson; 10-12-08, 04:45 PM. Reason: terms were mixed up
                        My Reviews

Comment

Update

Soren, on AB helped me see that light. Posterior and Anterior are terms more appropriate for vertebrate description, and last night I was tired and got the terms mixed up with my pics anyway(now corrected above).

Soren has also helped me come to the conclusion that it is between H. vonwirthi / H. sp. "Vietnam". I am going to try and find out if there are any known taxonomical differences between the two.

BTW this little T quest of mine has been very fun, insightful, and informative.
                          My Reviews

Comment

i've been following this thread and it is indeed very useful and interesting!
                            thanks for posting all those pics and asking the questions
                            Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                            -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->

Comment

Originally posted by James Box View Post
                              i've been following this thread and it is indeed very useful and interesting!
                              thanks for posting all those pics and asking the questions
                              click here on the latest update, thanks to Soren!

Thanks for every ones interest,
                              My Reviews

Comment

Working...
                              X