DIY enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris Barnard View Post
    Hi Jamie, your enclosure looks great. How did your supplier polish the acrylic? Mine was flame polished and was very smooth - you can run your hand over the edges with no fear of it cutting you.
    The 50mm eyelets were bought on ebay.
    Look forward to seeing your next enclosures! How much did you pay for tarantulacages vents?
    Thanks mate!

I really don't know what poilshing method was used! I just asked for polished edges, I know it wasn't flame polished, but I think I will ask for this next time.

I love the idea of a turntable!

The Vents from Tarantulacages were $24.00 for 12 vents, plus $15.00 postage, which turned out to be around £25.00 in total. Their made of aluminium and he stocks 2" and 1 1/2". However, I found where he gets them from (also in US unfortunately) www.midgetlouver.com. I was able to get them at half the price, although they needed a small modification. The postage was a bit more expensive so I was no better off really! lol. They stock a much wider range of sizes, up to 6" I think.

I will check out the eyelets on ebay, thanks for the info mate!

Jamie.
    My Collection:

Comment

Crikey that is very spooky. I was looking at midgetlouver.com at lunch time today and thinking 'hmmmm, I wonder...' lol! The 6" ones would be ideal with a bit of work. If only we could find a UK supplier!
      Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
      Lasiodora parahybana 0.0.1
      Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
      Poecilotheria regalis 0.0.1
      Poecilotheria rufilata 0.1.0
      Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0
      Avicularia versicolor 0.0.1
      Psalmopoeus irminia 0.0.1
      Aphonopelma schmidti 0.1.0
      Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens 0.0.1
      Acanthoscurria geniculata 0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Barnard View Post
        Crikey that is very spooky. I was looking at midgetlouver.com at lunch time today and thinking 'hmmmm, I wonder...' lol! The 6" ones would be ideal with a bit of work. If only we could find a UK supplier!
        Haha! Small world eh?!

So far I haven't been able to find a UK supplier. Let me know if you do.

The only problem I can see with the 6" vents are finding a big enough hole cutter.

Jamie.
        My Collection:

Comment

My mistake - 6" vents would be too big - I was thinking cm lol. I think the 2.5" or 3" would be ideal. If I find any I will certainly let you know. Or if I can make them. There could be a market for these!
          Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
          Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
          Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0

Comment

Hi guy's and girl's cant take credit for finding these but the problem of vent's on acrylic enclosure's has come up a few time's on other forum's so this might come in handy.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Horton View Post
              Hi guy's and girl's cant take credit for finding these but the problem of vent's on acrylic enclosure's has come up a few time's on other forum's so this might come in handy.

Andy.
              Thanks for the link Andy. I had spotted these during my mammoth Google search lol! They are relatively expensive though. £3.27 each + VAT = £3.84. I would need at least 5 on a large enclosure so that is £19 just for the vents. Carriage is £7 so a total of £26! Also they do not have a picture of the back of the vents - which would be spider-side. I would want to be sure that the finish was very good this side with no sharp edges that could harm my T.
              Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
              Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
              Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0

Comment

this guy sells vents of all sizes. not much for sale right now, but it might be worth sending him a message.
                “The spider's touch, how exquisitely fine! Feels at each thread, and lives along the line”

Comment

wow, these home made enclosures are beautiful! They look well made and make for beautiful presentation - puts me and my plastic exo-terra to shame!
                  I am not very good at making things myself though, so I think I'll just have to stand back and admire yours instead!
                  Maybe you should go into business? heehee
                  well done mate!

J x
                  Owner of:
                  A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
                  Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
                  Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Some neat enclosures in here! Unfortunately I'm not very handy and just buy tanks or other containers and modify them if need be.
                    My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
                    Ray Gabriel

Comment

Wow, I'm very impressed with your enclosures, I was just about to say you should go into business and noticed Joanna said the same thing! I bet your T's are loving their custom made homes.

Comment

Thanks guys. I cant wait for BTS on Sunday as I need to find a juvie arboreal to put in one of my enclosures - it has been sitting empty for too long!! Still not 100% decided what to get, will have to see what takes my fancy on the day.
                        Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
                        Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
                        Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0

Comment

What did you get in the end Chris? (at the show I mean)

Also, found a small aquarium that would be perfect for housing a T, just need to make a lid for it I think - any advice you could give me? The current lid is just a flip on and doesn't cover the whole cage! Also do I need to put vents in the side or will a well vented lid be good enough? x
                          Owner of:
                          A. chalcodes "Rio", X.immanis "Cuervo" and OBT sling "Salsa"

Mummy of:
                          Yelina (4 yrs old, RIP GBB juvie "Kama")
                          Blake (2 yrs old, owner of juvie L. parahybana "Nachos")

Comment

Hi Joanna

The BTS show was fantastic. It was my first one but wont be my last. I had decided I wanted a P. rufilata and set about finding one at the show. They seemed to be in short supply but I did manage to track down a juvenile - about 4" legspan. The lady I bought it from thought it was female and I really hope so, she's gorgeous. I have put her in my first smaller arboreal enclosure and she seems to be settling in. She's had a couple of crickets. I'll try to get a decent pic of her and post on here.
                            What is the aquarium made of? If it is glass then it could be more of a challenge. Can you post a pic? The ventilation issue depends on the spider too. If you have a G rosea for example then you may find top vents are fine as they like it on the drier side and just need a water dish. Species that like a more humid environment will often need good ventilation too which prevents mold etc building up. In these cases cross-ventilation would be preferable with vents on opposite sides to allow a flow of air. More ventilation is better - it is easier to block some ventilation up if the enclosure dries up too quickly, but more difficult to add extra vents when your spider is all 'settled-in'.
                            I have used a hole-saw to cut holes in 5mm acrylic and then made some vents, but you may find a well ventilated lid works just fine.
                            Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
                            Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
                            Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0

Comment

Updated pics of acrylic enclosures.

P rufilata enclosure

Enclosure ready for P regalis once she's a bit bigger. With live pothos plant and water bowl with cork camouflage.

Enclosure ready for P rufilata after next molt. The live pothos plant has thrived in here. Also has a healthy woodlouse community.

B vagans enclosure

Brachypelma vagans 0.0.1
                              Grammostola rosea 0.1.0
                              Brachypelma smithi 0.1.0