Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G.rosea

Hello All.

I'd like to know are rosea's as bad as people say.
    Like some are just evil or turn aggressive for no reason!.
    I read they go on a fast, and some are wonderful .
    And the RCF is the worst to keep for being aggressive ..
    So this is all about the NCF .. So as much as you can tell would be really great .
    Cheers.,
    Look forward to reading the replies.

John.

hi,
    i have 4 rosea's, one of them is RCF, only had her a week or two but so far she seems fine, one of them is a bit defensive, she has reared up a few times and fliks hair nearly every time im in the tank... but the other two are fine, i handle them easily with no problems, the one who rears up fast's for a long time... i cant remember when she last took a cricket but the other three are eating at the mo. the two that dont kick up a fuss are both male... dont know if thats just coincidance or weather any one else has calm males and defensive females....

Comment

Hi Mark.

I thought Rosea's wasn't meant to kick hair!..
      The RCF I have read from other forums seems to be the more aggressive one..
      I have read some NCF get defensive over there tank!.
      Not read of any one getting a bite from any..
      So just hope other Rosie owners give in put to help.

Comment

I have a sub adult G.rosea RCF. But I haven't really had her long enough to comment on her behaviour. I think I've had her about 2 months.

She mainly just sits in her hide. She has never shown me any aggression. Having said that, I don't handle any of my T's so I haven't really given her the chance.

I've read that keeping them at slightly higher temperatures than recommended can make them turn nasty and unpredictable. I don't know how much truth there is in that but it sounds quite accurate to me. If your thinking of getting one, I would highly recommend it. A lot of people will tell you they are very underated spiders and I think every collection should have at least one.

Jamie.
        My Collection:

Comment

I don't plan on handling a G.rosea lol ..
          Just trying to get as much in sight about them as possible ..
          It will help me get a wider view of them.

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
            ... I'd like to know are rosea's as bad as people say. ...
            When we were actively selling tarantulas we kept and sold literally hundreds of G. rosea of just about all color phases. We noticed no good correlation between their pugnacity and their color.

About one on 500 or a thousand is actually actively pugnacious and will try to bite. And, whenever we recognized any of these we either found good homes for them with the understanding that they were look-but-don't-touch pets, or kept them ourselves as pets.

A major problem isn't the tarantula but the enthusiast, and the enthusiast's misguided or misbegotten attempts at handling the tarantula. If the tarantula feels insecure or harassed as you try to pick it up, it very likely might bite just because you're simply being so grossly inept.

And, many enthusiasts who really don't know what they're doing automatically assume that the creature was trying to attack them when it was actually merely startled by their clumsy attempts, and was trying to get away. The result is both an hysterical tarantula and an hysterical enthusiast. The tarantula was quite rightfully trying to escape with its life. The enthusiast was just being a *****! READ! Know what you're doing AND WHY YOU'RE DOING IT before you try to handle your pet.

If you're planning on buying one from a local source, try to get a WRITTEN guarantee (on the receipt, perhaps) that you can return it for an exchange (or refund) within some grace period if it does prove to be pugnacious. If you buy it by mail order or over the 'Net, try to get the dealer to hand pick a docile one for you rather than merely grabbing the next one on the shelf. Most such dealers will gladly comply. They want your return business.

And even if you do get a look-but-don't-touch pet you will enjoy it just as much, trust me. Tarantula keeping is as much an intellectual exercise as it is a hands-on pursuit. And, trying to wrap your mind around something so alien and unconventional is a fascinating experience and an education well worth the effort all by itself. You won't be sorry!

Lastly, have you read these two webpages? If not, maybe you should.

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html

http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Enjoy your newfound, 8-legged, little buddy.
            The Tarantula Whisperer!
            Stan Schultz
            Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
            Private messaging is turned OFF!
            Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Hello Stan.
              I have TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE that was my first book..
              And thank you for the info and links they were great reading and makes understanding the roses much more clearly.
              I was suprised that there is three colour morphs and that all three can come from one sack..
              It has opened my eyes to the ways and what's now and hope others read the links too for now I might just get a rosea and understand why it is doing things.
              Thank You Again...
              And I'll get the other books listed

Regards
              John

Comment

we have a male and female, and handle both quite regularly with no problems, although the female get rather fiesty when its feeding time, almost as if she knows lol

Comment

I have a G Rosea (which im certain is a female) and she can be a bit stroppy but she`s never bitten and she has been handled on one occasion. I think stroppy is a bit harsh, lets say insecure, lol!

Comment

I put the same questions on a American site and they seem to dislike this sp yet on YouTube it's mostly Americans that show the hands on and mice feeding..
                    All I got from them were it's a very aggressive sp and unpredictable !.

Comment

G. rosea are chosen as a great beginner tarantula for good reason, to the most part they are docile, easy to keep and undemanding. Plus there's loads of information available about them.
                      I'm guessing the American site you visited is having a little wind up on your anxieties John.
                      I don't remember reading about the same colour morphs from one sac, do you have a page reference? I'd imagine it very hard to tell differences in colour at the early stages.
                      My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Originally posted by John chambers View Post
                        I put the same questions on a American site and they seem to dislike this sp yet on YouTube it's mostly Americans that show the hands on and mice feeding..
                        All I got from them were it's a very aggressive sp and unpredictable !.
                        What you're getting are the vehement complaints of the very few who got the exceptional ones. The other 99.9+% are happily enjoying their G. rosea without any problems. But since that's exactly what one would expect, they don't think it remarkable enough to comment on it.

The biggest reason G. rosea are kept so universally is that they are available universally due to the numbers being exported from Chile. That makes them extremely common and therefore extremely inexpensive. Of course, it doesn't hurt that they're also very hardy, very docile (with the odd exception), and the pink and red color phases, at least, are actually quite pretty.

That makes G. rosea extremely mundane, and therefore prime targets for elitist enthusiasts who would have you believe they're too good for something so bourgeois, another justification for making disparaging remarks about them.

If you read the relevant threads in non-American forums you'll find the same attitudes. This is evidenced by a posting at http://arachnophiles.myfreeforum.org...hp?f=11&t=9126 where a Dutch fellow was trying to buy baby G. rosea at a reptile show:

"i am also on a dutch tarantula forum. allready asked there. but nobody seems to be breeding rosea's

we also got laughed at, at the expo/show when we asked for a rosea sling. lolol"

We, however, on this side of the pond are breeding them. Nobody is planning on getting rich by doing so. It's just fun.

Enjoy your bourgeois, little, 8-legged buddies!
                        The Tarantula Whisperer!
                        Stan Schultz
                        Co-author, the TARANTULA KEEPER'S GUIDE
                        Private messaging is turned OFF!
                        Please E-mail me directly at schultz@ucalgary.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lacey View Post
                          G. rosea are chosen as a great beginner tarantula for good reason, to the most part they are docile, easy to keep and undemanding. Plus there's loads of information available about them.
                          I'm guessing the American site you visited is having a little wind up on your anxieties John.
                          I don't remember reading about the same colour morphs from one sac, do you have a page reference? I'd imagine it very hard to tell differences in colour at the early stages.
                          Here's the link Peter http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=197181 and the page about the colour forms was kindly sent on this thread by Stanley ..

Comment

my female g rosea she fine she never bothers, she lets me handle her,, the male i had was a pain, he wont let me near him, and he did flick hairs at me, he was always on the defence,

Comment

Originally posted by Gareth Brink View Post
                              we have a male and female, and handle both quite regularly with no problems, although the female get rather fiesty when its feeding time, almost as if she knows lol
                              Hi Gareth.
                              What made you want to handle your rosea?.

Comment

Working...
                              X