Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of things

Hi,
    Im just wanting to know how people go about providing heating for arboreal species? Do you tape heat mats to the side of the tank? One pet shop told me to dangle a small 'pygmy' lamp into the tank to provide some heat but im not so sure about using this method!?

Also what are peoples thoughts on handling their tarantulas? Should it be attempted or not? I occasionaly handle my B. Smithi but he is always very skittish and eager to run off and i get the opinion that he'd rather be in his tank than on my hand!!

Jon

Im just wanting to know how people go about providing heating for arboreal species
    Before i had a heated room i used just a heat mat at the side of the tank and that was it,nothing else was used and it worked fine for me,one thing i did notice was the spider would build its retreat beside the heat mat so this caused a problem that i couldnt see the spider unless it was out,so i just moved the heat mat to the other side and to my supprise the spider stayed in its retreat and didnt go after the heat mat.

Do you tape heat mats to the side of the tank
    Yep i use to use Electrical tape!

One pet shop told me to dangle a small 'pygmy' lamp into the tank
    Some low watt bulbs can be used but they would have to be outside of the tank so the spider doesnt get scorched,I would not recomend using bulbs as they dry out the tank very quick and most spiders hate bright light unless you use a coloured Bulb! and going by the sounds of the guy who told you to do this he hasnt got a clue!

Also what are peoples thoughts on handling their tarantulas
    I dont believe its nessesary to hold them just treat them like gold fish but some people just have to hold them i dont know why but thats there choice and its completely up to you what you want to do

Hope this helps mate
    all the best
    Cheers
    Brendan

Comment

Re: A couple of things

Originally posted by JonB
      Hi,
      Im just wanting to know how people go about providing heating for arboreal species?
      I use a heat mat against the wall at the moment, heated room in the near future though

Do you tape heat mats to the side of the tank?
      You can do but watch out as glass tanks get very VERY hot

One pet shop told me to dangle a small 'pygmy' lamp into the tank to provide some heat but im not so sure about using this method!?
      I wouldn't if I were you, as Brendan mentions it's very easy for the tarantula to roast itself - plus lamps seem to dehydrate the tank and the spider at an almighty rat of knots

Also what are peoples thoughts on handling their tarantulas? Should it be attempted or not?
      Your personal decision. Many species just cannot be free handled, and to attempt it would be asking for a bite. The BTS has a strict "no-handling" policy unlike the ATS which almost seems to encourage handling.
      I like to be able to handle certain spiders, it comes in handy when you are moving the lively ones to be prepared - the last thing you want when rehousing a Poecilotheria is for it to run up your arm and you freeze because you don't know what it will do. When it comes to moving them about it's best to use small pots and brush them into them with a chopstick or similar.
      It's up to you at the end of the day

I occasionaly handle my B. Smithi but he is always very skittish and eager to run off and i get the opinion that he'd rather be in his tank than on my hand!!
      Quite possibly true - in general theraphosids are not suitable for handling but it's your decision at the end of the day. Please remember that a fall for an adult terrestrial spider from any sort of height could well prove fatal

Comment

If you mean for Avicualria, Tapinauchinus, Psalmopoeus and Iridiopelma, you are probably better to build a wooden cabinet (box) with sliding doors at the front and use a striplight for heating, on a 12 on 12 off 24 hr timer.

If the cabinet is 30" wide use a 24" bulb in the center of each shelf and the top of the cabinet.

This gives the heat during the day and the temperature drop at night.

If you breed Avics youmight see them holding the eggsac up towards the light to "cook" the eggs.

Comment

Working...
        X