Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where does everyone purchase their substrate from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does everyone purchase their substrate from?

Topic pretty much says it all.

I'm looking for specific's here, i.e. Which store you buy ur peat from, vermiculite, etc.

Also can't find that "compressed coconut fibre" anywhere- Can I get some help on that plz?

Hi HitokiriSessha
    I get all mine from garden centres or nowadays most DIY stores have a garden section.

Peat moss is good stuff but not ecologically sound, ordinary potting soil works just as well too. You can add tad sprinkle in some vermiculite, but is not really necessary.

Angelarachnid emailed me a name of the stuff he uses, which I liked the look of when I went to see him.

I try and dig then name of it out or maybe Ray will post here later on.
    Regards
    Mark

P.S I always microwave my substrate before using it. Place in a microwave proof bowl in small amounts. Zap for 2 mins, let cool before placing in the tank or pot. Beware this stuff gets hot!

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Coir blocks

Hi,
      Best place to buy coir blocks from is:

It's a lot more environmentally sound than using peat, since it's a waste produced of the Sri Lankan coconut economy. Peat is strip-mined from peat-bogs (usually in Ireland) - these are a globally rare habitat which should be preverved at all cost.

Coir is a far better tarantula substrate in anycase, but it's slightly more expensive.

Cheers,
      Richard

Comment

Substrate recommended

Just A Quick Note I Use And Have Used A Potting Soil From B and Q it comes in a red bag cost about £1.20 a bag and 2 bags do most of my collection, and never had any problems with it ever!Bentrix

Comment

Substrate

Hi there, as Richard says, I use the same compressed coconut fibre blocks, the ones I use are made by t-rex & called forest bed, they come in 2 sizes, depending on your collection, the smaller one will cover an 18"*10" tank to about 2" deep, the Giant size will cover about 36"*18" to about 6" deep You should find it available thru most reptile dealers,(I also use it for my Blood Pythons ) but if you let me know where you are, I can maybe put you on to a dealer in your area if you are having trouble locating a supplier.

Hope this helps,

All the best.

Mike
          www.serpents-web.co.uk a work in progress.

Now offering the full range of MicroClimate products and also the full range of Java wood Decor.

Have you joined the BTS yet? If not why not? See the E-store to join online now

What is understood does not need to be discussed!

Comment

Working...
          X