Martin Nicholas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Nicholas

I dont know this guy maybe someone could shed some light on it,he is in this months girls magazine marie claire,and he is talking about his 150 tarantulas that he has.He also says that he found a spider in borneo in 1997 and that it has being named after him,he said it is called lampropelma Nicholasi but ive checked the world spider cathologe and there is no sign of this spider!
    Cheers
    Brendan

Hi Brendan
    I met him briefly at the last BTS show.Hes a really nice bloke!I belive he went with Mark P to Malaysia to look for C.thorelli and I think you can read about it in the articals section of this site.
    Also I think he went to Peru in seach for the "Chicken Spider"(Pampho spec I think).There is also a radio programm and article to download about this on this site somewhere (unless its gone now)

Comment

Martin Nicholas

Was the centre-fold staple in an appropriate place?

No - seriously Martin's a great guy and a BTS Committee member. He wrote about finding that spider in a BTS article a couple of years back. The spider hasn't been described yet - that's why it's not in the database. I understand Andrew Smith has the specimen in alcohol at the moment.

Richard

Comment

Hi
        Yes Martin is in Marie Clair magazine, they contacted me a few months back looking for someone to feature in their mag. I delegated the task to Kim who arranged for them to contact Martin Nicolas. Affectionley known as “TV's Martin Nicholas” by those close to him.

Regarding L, nicholasi, I spoken to Martin many times on this subject. Andrew Smith was indeed working on the ID of this species. It was found in a remote area on Kalimantan (Borneo). As Richard, states it’s not yet been fully published hence not in the world spider catalogue.

Martin has travelled the world looking for tarantulas, and has written many articles for the BTS. I was lucky enough to travel to Malaysia with him 1999.

I would love to see the article in Marie Clair as I have been winding him up about it for some time. :lol

If you have questions about anything stated in the mag, why not contact Martin, his email is on the committee page and I suspect he would be more than happy to answer any questions as he is an amiable bloke.

Regards
        Mark
        P.S go to the bbc.co.uk and do a search for chicken spider you'll find the radio four listen again part where you can download the sound file of Martins trip to Peru

------------------------------------------------------
        Serious Ink tattoo studio -
        Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
        My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hello,

Brendan, which edition was this in???? Feb or March??

Cheers,

Andy.

Comment

Thanks for all the info lads,there was no problem i was just curious and the name sounded so familar!I thought there was a big article in it but it was just 2 minutes of reading,i think my girlfriend got the better deal for €6 i got a 2 minute read while she got one of her favourite mags...i dont know what month it is in but tom cruise is on the cover,i would suggest just pick it up and read it but dont buy it
            Cheers
            Brendan

Comment

Never Heard of him!

Sounds an extremely dodgy guy to me, don't trust him or reply to his e-mails.

Was hoping this little article would vanish from the ether without any seroius spider people seeing it (some hope!)

Been misquoted on a few things including the Lampropelma species from Kalimantan which will eventually be named after me just not yet.

So I'll see some of you at the BTS show and hopefully some of you at the BTS lectures (if TV's Martin Nicholas makes it out of the Amazon in time!)

Cheers all!
              MArtin
              The things that come to those who wait may be the things left by those who got there first!

Comment

Sorry but the only dogy guy is me here. Been called that by an official nature conservation (asked Richard G. for this) after some "nice" guy thought he could ruin my good name and reputation in South Africa by sending them an email full of false accusations . I have no name yet but am back on speaking terms with the conservation
                With Regards,
                Thomas Ezendam
                Tilburg, Holland
                Ulwembu Arachnological Survey Group
                British Tarantula Society - European Rep

Comment

Sounds an extremely dodgy guy to me, don't trust him or reply to his e-mails.
                  Aleast not as dodgy as that rugby player guy with the poodle that was very funny!

So I'll see some of you at the BTS show and hopefully some of you at the BTS lectures
                  Ill be there with the magazine just to make sure that im talking to the right person!
                  Cheers
                  Brendan

Comment

Working...
                  X