Just bred Eucratoscelus pachypus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bred Eucratoscelus pachypus

After a few years of trying I've finally managed to breed Eucratoscelus pachypus. The nymph-2 should be moulting into spiderlings soon. As far as I know this is the first time this species has been captive bred (male to freshly moulted female). Interestingly the female was small.

Arent the females of this sp small anyway,I had a juvenile a long time ago but just didnt do anything for me,but as adults they look quite nice with them odd looking back legs.
    Does all Eucratoscelus sp have these thick back legs,
    But anyway congrats on the achievement,now for the hard part feeding all them slings
    Cheers
    Brendan

Comment

Eucratoscelus

Yeah the first specimens imported were large 4-5-inch leg-spans, but these never established well in captivity. I had much better success with the smaller ones. There are only two Eucratoscelus species - E. pachypus and E. constrictus (which used to be called E. longiceps). Both species have thickened back legs (more so in pachypus). The males are small and don't have thick legs.

Spiderlings !!!

Comment

Re: Just bred Eucratoscelus pachypus

Originally posted by Richard Gallon
        After a few years of trying I've finally managed to breed Eucratoscelus pachypus. The nymph-2 should be moulting into spiderlings soon. As far as I know this is the first time this species has been captive bred (male to freshly moulted female). Interestingly the female was small.
        Congratulations Richard...you are doubtless very proud of this rare achievement. I hope you will be writing a suitable article to tell everyone the story!

Comment

eucratoscelus pachypus

I have bought 3 juvenile spiders under the name of tawney t's. They are brown with thickish back legs, on the suppliers list they are hystocrates sp. I think that they are pachypus from internet id. Is'nt a tawney a gramastola grossa? these are nothing like one of those on the photo's I've seen, but they are like the stout legged baboons I saw at kettering.

Any thoughts anyone?
          btw I bought a Leucauge argyra on wednesday anyone any info please, thats a Barbados Painted Metallic Spider, I have an egg sac with 1, and an egg sac in another container which held a dead specimen, these are from a supplier in England.

Mary Walters
          spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Working...
          X