Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed Pocilotheria group

It's been a bit slow on here recently. To kick things off again:

I've created an experimental group of juvenile Poecilotheria. Two regalis and a single rufilata (all with 2-inch leg-spans). They've been together for the best part of a week.

Obviously I'll be separating the species before any males mature (don't want to create accidental hybrids). But if they are all female - it'll be very interesting to see how long they co-habit.

I've had a formosa group in a large tank for months and have just set-up a striata group

Richard

Richard
    Interesting stuff, when I visited Ray G, he had many such groups but can’t remember if some were of mixed groups.

Keep us informed of the results
    Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hmmmmm, interesting one.
      I've seen P.subfusca, P.striata, P.regalis, P.rufilata and P.formosa kept together (Kate & I have 3 large sub-adult formosa living together) but never a mixture of species.
      I think as long as you're prepared for the eventuality of mass carnage you should be okay. I'd be very interested to see the results anyway!

Comment

POECILOTHERIA IN GROUPS

I currently have two groups of Poecilotheria regalis. One is seven strong and the other is five. They are spiderlings and already one of them has moulted and grown literally OVER twice the size of another. It will be of interest to see how the situation progresses. Will they dine on each other if one is huge and the other small or will they live and let live to feed only on the crickets?

I have observed other groups together courtesy of Ray Gabriel and am astonished at how many will live side by side (literally) even up until and including adulthood.

Comment

Hi,

about three years ago I put in a tank with two or three (can't remember how many exactly) juvenile P. fasciata one juvenile P. regalis. Kept them together for several month without losing any specimen. Have to look up if I made some notes and still can find them.

And two strange cases:

In May 1999 someone reported on the "Arachno" mailing list, that he is in touch with someone keeping an adult P. fasciata female and an A. metallica female (6 cm BL) together in a cage with 30x30x40 cm. At the point he reported this, they have been together for about 6 weeks!

And here is a photo >>click here<< of a Poecilotheria regalis and a Holoconia immanis. When the photo has been taken they have been together allegedly for three month.

And here is an elder posting from the arachnid_world list:

LELLE, 16 Feb 2001:
          "I have recieved some mails from a indian guy who have found frogs
          (Philautus sp.) shared regalis burrows.
          Anyone heard this and got some more info?"

Seems that members of the genus Poeciotheria are quite tolerant!

all the best,
          Martin

PS.: A group of juvenile P. striata: >>photo #1<<, >>photo #2<<
          »ARACHNE« – The Journal of the German Arachnology Society

Comment

in 1999 Bob van Keulen had P. regalis, P. rufilata and P. subfusca (male) together all adult in a 30x30x30 cm tank. a article on this tank can be found in skiplan 7 (1) ISSN1212-5261

i have communal tanks of P. regalis ( 3 bloodlines)
            P. pederseni
            P. fasciata
            and had P. striata communal

the only thing to be on the lookout for are cricket remains and any unfortunate dead spiders........ with a communal setup there is allways the chance of deseases (spelling?)

Eddy

Comment

I have groups of:
              fasciata 2 x 5 large juvs,
              formosa 1 x 3 s/a, one group of x? spiderlings,
              rufilata 1 group of 7 large juvs one group of around 20 slings,
              subfusca i kept a group of 5 till the nematodes killed them
              ornata I have kept these together in the past
              regalis a few groups of 10 spiderlings from a temperature incubation experiment, one group of spiderlings still living with Mum, a few groups of juveniles still living to gether from various eggsacs.

I am reliably informed that mettalica are not found in groups in the wild but spiderlings and juvs singally on trees, it might not be a good idea to house these together.

Comment

hi,
                Originally posted by angelarachnid
                ornata I have kept these together in the past.
                did they kill each other?

bye
                Gordon
                Member of DEARGE

Comment

Hi Gordon,

No they were OK together but i separated them at i think 3rd moult.

Ray

Comment

Mettalica Groups

I am reliably informed that mettalica are not found in groups in the wild but spiderlings and juvs singally on trees, it might not be a good idea to house these together.
                    Look im all for experimenting with pocei groups, but at £150 each i dont really fancy putting P.mettalica together anyway! lol thats a lil bit too much of a risk for my liking!

Comment

Working...
                    X