Iraqnids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqnids

Learned colleagues - for your consideration. The following quote and picture is from an email sent to me by a friend. No doubt if true it has been greatly 'sexed up' but is it just a hoax? What species could this be if it is actually genuine?

Discuss.....

They run 10 mph, jump three feet, are a nocturnal spider, so only come out at night unless they are in shade. When they bite you, you are
    injected with Novocain so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long. If you
    are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run. It will instantly
    run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing you.

PS. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are
    Spiders found daily in IRAQ by troops. Imagine waking up and seeing one
    of these in your tent..

COAST TO COAST AM WITH GEORGE NOORY

Don't tell the elf!

I don´t know these things have a worst rep than tarantulas
    The animal in the pic is not a spider or a scorpion but is in fact a Solifugid.Althought it is sometimes know as a Camel spider or Wind scorpion!
    Yes they are ment to be able to run at about 10mph.
    Yes they are nocturnal.
    Yes if it bite you it would most likely hurt like hell as they have large jaws.
    Yes the pic is of 2 of these creatures or maybe 1 and its moult?
    Yes they may be quite defensive when cornerd.

No they do not inject Novocain as they are non venomous.
    No they will not run of with you leg in the night.
    No they will not scream at you while chaseing you around the desert.
    No they dont lay eggs under your skin when your sleeping.
    No they dont grow to 50 foof high when hit with radation.
    No they dont kidnape damsels in disstresse and hold them to ransom.
    No they dont eat camels.
    No they dont carry AK47s to help hunt you down.
    No they wont drive off with your tank while your sleeping.
    No they are not as scarry as Ray Hale,Carl Portman and Mark Pennel.

Lets face it not all we hear on the News or read in the paper is fact,but if a story is to sell it has to be sensationalized (sad but true).Dont these people think that our lads and lasses in the Gulf at this time have a enough to worry about, Without adding to their fears that they might wake up in the morning with their limbs being chewed off by some bug!

Comment

They run 10 mph
      Quite possibly true

jump three feet
      Hehehe, nope.

are a nocturnal spider, so only come out at night unless they are in shade
      True

When they bite you, you are injected with Novocain so you go numb instantly. You don't even know you are bitten when you are sleeping, so you wake up with part of your leg or arm missing because it has been gnawing on it all night long.
      Not true at all. Solifugids posess no venom glands at all! They do have powerful mechanical jaws though.

If you are walking around and you bump something that is casting a shadow over it, and the sun makes contact with it, you better run. It will instantly run for your shadow, and scream the whole time it is chasing you.
      LOL they don't scream

PS. The one on the bottom is eating the one on the top. These are
      Spiders found daily in IRAQ by troops.
      That might well be true.

Here is a large (5") Galeodes granti

And a couple of short video clips:

Comment

Solifugids

This week I recieved a very interesting call from the press council regarding this very story. The lady on the phone was adamant that these spiders where "as long as your arm" because after all photos dont lie.
        She then went on to insist that they crept in to the troops tents and injected Novacane into the unsuspecting soldier and then ate their arm or legs.

I said that she should think about what she was saying and then explained exactly what the said beast was. She seemed so dissapointed and then admitted that she could see the photo was out of perspective but needed a story from this. She needed a quote...........needless to say I gave her one

I fully expect to appear in the Sunday Sport or the Sun so keep your eyes peeled.

Ray
        British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
        The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
        On
        [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

Re: Solifugids

Originally posted by RayHale
          This week I recieved a very interesting call from the press council regarding this very story. The lady on the phone was adamant that these spiders where "as long as your arm" because after all photos dont lie.
          She then went on to insist that they crept in to the troops tents and injected Novacane into the unsuspecting soldier and then ate their arm or legs.

I said that she should think about what she was saying and then explained exactly what the said beast was. She seemed so dissapointed and then admitted that she could see the photo was out of perspective but needed a story from this. She needed a quote...........needless to say I gave her one

I fully expect to appear in the Sunday Sport or the Sun so keep your eyes peeled.

Ray
          I f you do appear in the papers Ray save us a copy I could do with a laugh

Comment

Iraqnids

Bravo gentlemen. I knew I could rely on you to come up with the goods. I consider myself amazed and enlightened. It just goes to show there is usually some solid truth under the steady smog of rumour, misdirection and sensationalism that shrouds our world. As a good friend of mine often says
            I suspected that maybe the case.
            Ray - I gave up reading comics several years ago but if you are going to get your baps out for the Sport then I'll pick up a copy

Regards to all
            The Droid
            Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Working...
            X