Check them before you buy them...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check them before you buy them...

Not long to the bts show now so just want to remind anyone buying t's to thoroughly check them before buying. No doubt there will be the usual stack of wild caught T. blondi amongst others that may possibly be carrying nematodes, parasites and these little fellas - scuttle fly larvae. This pic was taken at the last Kettering show, the spiders hadn't been checked and were available to buy. This time around it wasn't so bad as this species of fly (Megaselia dimorphica) has been found to live symbiotically with certain species of South American tarantulas and is host specific. They don't actually harm the spider but live upon it, feeding off prey remains and laying eggs / pupating on the carapace (the only spot where the spider cannot reach when it cleans itself). These larvae are easily removed with forceps and once removed, the spider will have no further problem with them.

Nematodes on the other hand, are what you should be looking out for

More information can be found on M. dimorphica and nematode symptoms by clicking the links below...

Keep 'em peeled, trust me - you don't want these in your collection...

Guy...
    www.giantspiders.com

I agree with Guy on this one, although the BTS is very stringent on its checks we do ocasssionally miss something.

My advice for buying stock from our exhibition, or any one for that matter is as follows.

1. Always get a receipt from the seller.
    2. ask for details of origin from the seller.
    3. Check the speciman carefully before sale.
    4. Get the sellers details form them.
    5. Be wary of buying sexed spiders, if you do buy them ensure a certificate of sex is given.
    6. If you have any problems with exhibitors at the BTS Exhibition then contact a commitee member ( Red T-Shirts) and they will inform me.

At our show every exhibitor is logged and vetted and their site in the hall recorded so if you have a problem afterwards we can usually tell you the traders name.

I amsure you will all have a great day out....see you there..
    Ray Hale
    British Tarantula Society - Join today safe and secure online

[B]
    The 29th BTS Annual Exhibition
    On
    [B]Sunday 18th May 2014[B]

Comment

I agree with the above.

If any one is unsure of a spider they are considering buying, give me a shout and i will have a look for you (will even try to sex them for you).

Ray G

Comment

Working...
      X