Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Humidy environments

Hi,

Great show on Sunday, thoroughly enjoyed it. We purchased a small curly-hair (female, 1.5" across, Aug 2000 dob) plus all equipment. The flooring is peat-based and damp, with cork bark shelter etc.
    The spider, having been in the tank for less than a day, dug all of the soil out from under the log and made a large mound. It then spent the day cleaning the new burrow.
    My question is the humidity. I believe these need a high humidity, but I am concerned about fungal growth etc. Obviously it won't happen yet, but how do I keep the environment moist without the fear of dangerous bacteria etc?

The tank was purchased at the show, and is 9 inches across, 5 inches front-to-back and 5 inches high with a glass lid with slight gaps around the edges.
    The spider is eating already (hungry liitle thing) and appears v.healthy.

What's best for this species - how should she be kept for ideal conditions?

Thanks
    Mark

Mark E

Firstly if the curly hair is 4 yrs old it wouldnt be 1.5 inches it would be fully grown so thats wrong. Humidity should be ok at 70-75 and temp bout 80 i keep mine like that and shes fine, mines about 2-3 yrs old and 6 inches, my t that is

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I bought the t from Rob Hutton at the show, and the birthdate was August 2000. The t is probably 2 inches long at full-stretch (incl. legs) so I don't know how old it must be, but it hasn't stopped digging and then opening/blocking the burrow with massive amounts of soil - impressive for the size of the spider!

How quickly do they grow? The tank temperature varies from 72 to 80 degrees without a heat mat - should I add the heat mat soon?

Thanks,
      Mark
      Mark E

Comment

Working...
      X