Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utter b*****ks

Fellow luminaries,

This was shown to me at work with frightened questions of "I've got a cactus - is this true?" It wouldn't surprise me at all if it came from the same the place that spawned my earlier 'Iraqnids' post. The picture mentioned at the end is of a good sized T. blondi astride a dinner plate.

A true story, apparently - and its source was the Australian Quarantine Inspection Service in Adelaide.

A bloke and his family were on holidays in the United States and went to
    Mexico for a week. An avid cactus fan, the man bought a one-metre high, rare and expensive cactus there. On arrival back home Australian Customs said it must be quarantined for 3 months. He finally got his cactus home. Planted it in his backyard, and over time it grew to about 2 metres.

One evening while watering his garden after a warm spring day, he gave
    the cactus a light spray. He was amazed to see the plant shiver all over, he gave it another spray and it shivered again. He was puzzled so he rang the council who put him on to the state gardens people. After a few transfers he got the state's foremost cactus expert who asked
    him many questions. How Tall is it? Has it flowered? etc.

Finally he asked the most disturbing question. "Is your family in the
    house?" The bloke answered yes. The cactus expert said get out of the house NOW, get on to the front nature strip and wait for me, I will be there in 20 minutes.

Fifteen minutes later, 2 fire trucks, 2 police cars and an ambulance came screaming around the corner. A fireman got out and asked "Are you the bloke with the cactus?" I am, he said. A guy jumped out of the fire truck wearing what looked like a space suit, a breathing cylinder and mask attached to what looked like a scuba backpack with a large hose attached.

He headed for the backyard and turned a flame-thrower on the cactus
    spraying it up and down. After a few minutes the flame-thrower man stopped, the cactus stood smoking and spitting, half the fence was burnt and parts of the gardens were well and truly scorched.
    Just then the cactus expert appeared and laid a calming hand on the bloke's shoulder. "What the hell's going on?" he says.

"Let me show you" says the cactus man. He went over to the cactus and picked away a crusty bit, the cactus was almost entirely hollow and filled with tiger striped bird-eating tarantula spiders, each about the size of two hand spans.

The story was that this type of spider lays eggs in this type of cactus
    and they hatch and live in it as they grow to full size. When full size they
    release themselves. The cactus just explodes and about 150 dinner plate
    sized hairy spiders are flung from it, dispersing everywhere.

They had been ready to pop. The aftermath was that the house and the
    adjoining houses had to be vacated and fumigated: police tape was put
    up outside the whole area and no one was allowed in for two weeks.

And here's what one of the *******s looks like sitting on a full size
    dinner plate..... nite nite.
    Don't tell the elf!

Hi There
    This story is as old as the hills.. If I had a quid for everytime this old chesnut surfaced. I would have at least a fiver.

I heard this one back when I started keeping spiders. Trust me thats a long long time ago!.....

Cheers
    Mark
    P.S thanks for posting this, its nice to hear its still alive and kicking!

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Hi Mark,

My pleasure. I feel honoured to be providing amusement for a whole new generation of spider lovers
      Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Oh the drama...Gave me a good laff anyway.

I once recued a B.vagans that had come over in tined fruit, poor thing was on its last leggs and died shortly after. It didnt explode though and wasnt quite the size of a dinnerplate

Cheers

Comment

It was actually sealed inside a tin of fruit
          Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Working...
          X