Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T doesn't like vermiculite?

Hi everyone,
    On thursday I decided to swap out my G.Rosea's substrate from woodchips to vermiculite. I mixed it up with some water and placed it in. It was still fairly damp so I let the heat mats work for a few hours before replacing the spider
    At the same time I added a second heat mat because my house is not too warm. This is under the tank and I have a very thin layer just above it to allow the heat through. Everywhere else it is deeper. I put in a half flowerpot (fairly small sized, but my T isn't fully grown) and he won't go near it - in fact he has barely touched the floor since I changed it - preferring to cling to the wall of the tank instead. Is this a sign that he doesn't like the vermiculite?

thanks,
    Mark

HI Mark S
    Vermiculite is not a good substrate for any tarantula; I suggest using a peat moss or coir mixture. There are plenty of these to food at garden centres. Try and get an environmentally sound peat mixture or peat moss substitute. This way you are protecting the environment (had to say that as Richard Gallon would have killed me).

Never place you heat mat under the tank, especially with vermiculite in the tank. Vermiculite has excellent insulation properties and this will cause your mat to overheat and this is most likely why your tarantula is clinging to the side.

I have noticed that T’s don’t like to walk on pure vermiculite too. Anyway don’t throw it away completely, mixed some into your new soil. Say a few handfuls.

You find your G, rosea will settle down once you removed your vermiculite. Also if the new soil you buy is not labelled as sterile it might be and idea to microwave it in small batches before placing into the tarantulas tank. I nuke mine for around 3 mins.

Make sure it is fully cooled before putting your spider back.

Regards
    Mark

------------------------------------------------------
    Serious Ink tattoo studio -
    Discounts on tattoo's for BTS members
    My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Working...
    X