Slit Sensillium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slit Sensillium

Hi can anyone explain to me the funtion of the Slit Sensillium on a tarantulas abdomen.I know that they are stress receptors but can anyone tell me how they work and what kind of stress are they intended for?

Odd question I know but I´m intrigued!

Hi,
    I would guess that the slit sensillae in theraphosids stretch/bend somewhat as the abdomen expands, releasing hormones which in turn set the spider into moulting mode. Of course when gravid I have no idea what might happen.

This is just a guess and no more. I don't know if any study has even been done on theraphosid slit sensillae.

Hope this helps,
    Steve Nunn
    Australian Tarantulas website
    http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas

Comment

Thanks for replying Steve
      If the Slit Senillae have somthing to do with the releasing of hormones, then could it be possible that it also tells the spider if its in mating state aswell.I mean that in the case of some males in some species don´t seem to want to mate after a couple of months even though they can go on and live for quite a while spining many more sperm webs.And for the case of females could these hormones that are released tell the male if she is receptive or not?
      What do you think?

Comment

In regard to the females, although this may be possible I would doubt it, given that most female spp. will mate almost any time of the year. I'd also believe in males there would be other, external triggers that prevent mating, such as certain conditions found in the species home territory. This "behaviour", if it could be called that, may be carried on into captive behaviour. I honestly believe when mating theraphosids that the closer we can get to emulating the natural environment, the sooner we will see captive breeding problems clear up (such as short breeding spans for certain sp. males).

Cheers,
        Steve
        Australian Tarantulas website
        http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas

Comment

Working...
        X