Escapee Tarantula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Escapee Tarantula

Every Body has maybe left a lid off their tank and the spider has escaped or maybe not sealed a tank correctly and the animal has made a run for it.

Well i can beat those stories by a long shot how about a tarantula that actually rips thru a tank.

Ive always been a Grammostola man myself but at the 2003 BTS show i fancied a change. Everybody said go for a smithi! So always up for any chance to add a new animal to my collection i picked up a small Brachypelma Smithi which later earned the name Avarus, after how much food she ate, and housed her in a tank with a strip of mesh for ventilation.

Anyway about 1 week ago i noticed she had made a small in the mesh which i patched up and ignored.
    Anyway today i looked inside her tank to find a huge hole in the meshing and her missing. Thankfully she hadnt got far and after a lil hair kicking myself and dave got her into another tank without mesh.

Although i was quite lucky to find her, we did find out that she has suffered a little scratch to her abdomen which is slightly leaking liquid.
    Although people have tried may methods to stop the bleeding ive desided to keep the humidity up in the tank and hope she gets thru it all! any ideas would be great tho!

Hi
    this all sounds very familiar, except the repairing bit, the tank below used to house an Acanthoscurria sp
    regards
    phil
    www.thetarantulastore.net

Comment

I remember my B bohmei escaping surig the night. I woke up the next morning to find it on my pillow next to me. Washing herself. I nearlly craped myself.

and a month back now my bros G/F kids left the lid of my B smithi (i don't know what they were doing in my room in the 1st place as they get wrong for going in with out me) Luckly i found it the next day makeing a nest behind the bedside cabinet.

Visit my web site @ http://www.gwrightstarantulacare.co.uk

Comment

My chile rose enjoyed the space behind my chest of drawers in my living room, my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens slings had a run round my coffee table (until they realised they couldn't get down ) whilst a locust was bouncing round in my dining room (stressfull evening that one)

Comment

Holy cow Batman that's some hole. I've got a small B. smithi but it's never made any effort to escape, neither have any of my other 3 T's - but then I did make sure they didn't pick up acetylene torches and pliers from the hardware store on the way home
          Don't tell the elf!

Comment

Phils pic

Yeah cool pic its exactly the same as my tank except theres 2 holes in mine! how big was ur t when it tried to get out?

Comment

My B.Smithi enjoys weightlifting, trying to push the lid up on her tank lifted it about half an inch before my girlfriend saw her & crapped herself.
              Had my ear bent when i got home
              I forgot to re-tape the lid after cleaning her out. Now its taped with an ornament on it, but she still tries...

Comment

what is the humidity in your red knees tank, its migt be to high thats why its trying to get out. I find they like it the same as a chilean about 60 percent humidity, just increase this prior to a molt to say 70-75.

Comment

Currently about 80%
                  Which caresheet do you listen to they all seem to tell you different things!!

Some say Temp 70-80C others 75-90
                  Humidity 60-75% others 70-80%

Comment

My B. smithi escaped a couple of months back. I came in to discover she had opened the glass door on the viv. She opened it about an inch but that was plenty. I found her under the radiator with a big rip in her. Needless to say she never pulled through.
                    I know the viv was closed because I checked it twice before I went out and my girlfriend checked as well (nothing like being paranoid). I had been taping the doors shut but decided that it was silly because a wee spider was never going to open those big heavy glass doors - how wrong was I.
                    It wasn't till I was going to bed that I found the silk. After getting out of the tank she climbed up my bookcase and over the other viv's before going onto the wall. From the wall she went straight up onto the ceiling. Into the middle of the ceiling - that was were the silk stopped - directly under it I found a wet patch that ran to the radiator.
                    She was stunning aswell. All my viv's are taped shut now.

Comment

i had 3 P.Regalis escape about 3 weeks ago one was awol for over a week found it under my cat's dinner plate ...the other two setup shop in a news paper on top of one of my tanks heat mat right under it

This is why they escaped my fault didnt push lid down properly or it sprung up (probly the former )

Realy made them selfs at home ...lucky realy they didnt go far

And back home again adventure over

Comment

its from experience and finding out about there natural habitat, that determins ther enviromental conditions in there setup and yes 80% is way to far humid for a mexican red knee think about it they come from mexico which is hot and fairly dry not humid. and when they try to get out all the time is where they are trying to escape there uncomfatable conditions. just read the body language of your t's if they are against the heatmat side of the tank maybe turn it up a few degrees and if they are climbing the walls or trying to get out try dropping down the humidity by allowing more ventilation

For a red knee i have found they like it to be about 80 for the heat and and about 60 to 65 for humidity. But right just before the molt increase this to 75, but dont forget to reduce it again when the t has finished molting oh and occasionally reduces the heat down to say 70 to 75 occasionally

Comment

Working...
                        X