Spider mites!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider mites!

Today whilst in my local arachnid and reptile shop i came across some adult female (Haplopelma lividum) but noticed that a couple of them had what apeared to me small congregations of mites on the carapace. I was tempted before i noticed them but the question that i have is can the mites actualy penetrate the carapace to cause damage of would the spider be ok if all of the mites were removed. I had to remove a couple of mites from my Haplopelma sp "aureopilosum when i got her. any advice here would be much appreciated. Merry christmas and a happy new year to everyone.

SPIDER MITES

It is extremely difficult to say without seeing the mites for myself. In my opinion it is always dubious when pet shops are selling spiders with mites. You would do well to ask outright what their source is. Are they wild caught or not?
    Some mites live perfectly happily as parasitic hosts of the spider but others can kill the spider.
    If in doubt never purchase, that is my advice.

Comment

I did ask where the cobalt blues originated and yes they were WC. the mites are cream in colour but other wise the spiders seem ok. what would your oppinion be. I know that its difficult to say but is there any way of distinguishing between the harmless mites and the ones that would kill the spider. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X