Chaco Region - Argentina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chaco Region - Argentina

Some pics of trips I've made a while ago to Chaco Region.

A. chacoana eating a mouse

A. chacoana mature male oportunistic burrow, with his last exuvium outside

A. chacoana adult female

A. chacoana habitat

A. chacoana adult female in her hide

E. campestratus in her burrow

E. campestratus big adult female

E. campestratus burrow (grassland habitat)

Pato-

Moderators note:

The BTS has a non-handling policy and does not encourage the handling of tarantulas, for the safety of the tarantula and the owner. We also understand that people have different opinions on this subject and from time to time handling may be necessary and /or accidental. However rule 10 of this forum states.

"(10) Photographs and gallery images; please refrain from posting images of handling this only encourages such activities and there a lot of younger patrons on this forum that may influenced by such images and may attempt handling unnecessarily and as a result injure the tarantula or themselves."

The handling image, although breaking rule 10, was taken in the wild, and it can sometimes be necessary to determine species/gender etc.

Although the handling is intentional, the image is presented for inspection and therefore shall remain (Allowing administration the final decision).
    Last edited by Phil Rea; 29-10-08, 10:15 AM. Reason: Handling message added.

Fantastic pix, thanks for sharing them with us, always great to see natural habitats.
    The full picture looks as if it might be a dried up river bed.
    My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Excellent habitat pictures Patricio

My Collection:

Comment

Interesting and beautiful shots!
        Thanks for sharing!
        www.minaxtarantulas.se

Comment

Some great pictures!
          Guy...
          www.giantspiders.com

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm sorry about the handling picture, I really wasn't aware that it was wrong to post it But I agree with you Mod, the reason was for inspection of the wild tarantula, showing size, etc.
            Will keep it in mind for the future!

Pato-

Comment

Don't worry about it

My Collection:

Comment

Excellent, did you come across any Argentinian form G aureostriata whilst in the area??

I, for one, would like to see photos of these in their natural habitat if you have them.

Colin
                Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Hello Colin,

No, I haven't been lucky enough to see Grammostola aureostriata in the wild. Although I've seen collected ones, and there seem to be two morphs or different species. Grammostola aureostriata and another one that is similar but it might be in fact another sp. The real G. aureostriata is bigger, wider stripes (more golden than yellow) very much pretty and also even seems to have slightly different morphological features, while this other G. ''aureostriata'', which judging for the great amount of pics on internet, is the one I see in Europe and US is much more common, is a smaller tarantula, different slim stripes and bright yellow. Anyway, I've seen both, but not in their habitat, which by the information I have, is the same habitat for both.

Unfortunately, G. aureostriata isn't a common tarantula at all, and in fact is very rare to find in the wild. A known skilled collector I know, only found very few (including the type for sp. description) , comparing with other species such as Eupalaestrus campestratus. A. chacoana is also a fairly hard to find sp. and you never find them in great numbers.

But I will continue exploring this habitat (or what it's left of it anyway...), and I know sooner or later, I will find the beautiful Grammostola aureostriata if not extinct in Argentina (hope not)...as I haven't seen anyone collected the real G. aureostriata in a few years now.

I have pictures if you are interested of this ''real'' Grammostola aureostriata, the last female I've seen alive. Was a very big one and died of old age like 2 years ago.

Best regards,
                  Pato-

Comment

Thanks for that Pato

We recognise (taxonomically) two distinct regional variations of the aureostriata here (i.e. Argentinian and Paraguayan) at the moment in the hobby (both variants can be seen on out Theraphosid gallery)
                    The "real" aureostrata which you refer to is not one found here in the hobby very often unfortunately, myself and a collector/conservationist friend of mine had a couple in the mid 80's, they were impressive beasts around 9 inches legspan (funnily enough, the majority of the available caresheets state they will grow to about this, yet i've not seen one this size for years)
                    You said you'd not come across any individuals in the wild for some time, my friend has been out in S America for some months now and on last contact with him he states the same...which is a huge shame.
                    Please post the images that you have, it would be nice to see a good example again (all my photographic records are on 35mm and medium format so a trip to the loft would be in order i think)
                    Colin

Comment

the real Grammostola aureostriata

Colin, here are the pics. In my opinion one of the most pretty and impressive tarantula I've seen.

Female

Moderators note: The BTS has a non-handling policy and does not encourage the handling of tarantulas, for the safety of the tarantula and the *owner. We also understand that people have different opinions on this subject and from time to time handling may be necessary and /or accidental. However rule 10 of this forum states.

"(10) Photographs and gallery images; please refrain from posting images of handling this only encourages such activities and there a lot of younger patrons on this forum that may influenced by such images and may attempt handling unnecessarily and as a result injure the tarantula or themselves."

This image, although technically breaking rule 10, is indicating the size of the spider, The spider is in safe situ so the image shall remain unless administration decides otherwise.

Male

This tarantula I'm pretty sure is a different sp. as the common ''G. aureostriata''. This tarantula is the same sp. as the type sent to make the original description paper in Germany of Grammostola aureostriata in 2001.

Best regards,
                      Pato.
                      Last edited by Colin D Wilson; 04-11-08, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Hi Pato.

Excellent example, very well patterened and the colouration is stunning.

If this is what Schmidt & Bullmer set up type with, then it seems the Argentinian form is most like type in the hobby here.

Comment

Thats a monster is that! What a beauty !!
                          My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

wow! can't believe how beautiful these look. I have 2 pet trade and I'm so looking forward to seeing the gold stripes develop
                            My Collection - Summer 2011

Comment

Yes Colin, this spider was from my friend Dr. Claudio Lipari and was found in Argentina, same sp. with the type sent to Germany (found in Argentina too)
                              I thought the other G. aureostriata was more common in the hobby, or is this one?

Best regards,
                              Pato-

Comment

Working...
                              X