2009 so far....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 so far....

The year started with Harpactira sp. Robertson nymphs moulting into slings on the 6th(1st sac) and 7th(2nd sac) of January. I believe this was the first and second ever captive breeding of this species and i even managed to pull the finger out and write an article for the journal on it.

The first sling to moult

Slings from sac 2

Next up was my second Harpactirella lightfooti female which dropped a sac on the 2nd of February. I had successfully bred this species last year which i put down to luck so it was nice to see that lightning sometimes does strike in the same place twice. From what i can tell this species seems to drop a sac after keeping the tub dry for a couple of months then soaking some of the substrate.

I then had a Yamia sac on the 14th of February but unfortunately this was eaten 3 weeks later.

Mating

Short lived sac

Next was my Chilobrachys fimbriatus female which dropped a sac on the 2nd of March. Unfortunately 10 days later i found the female curled up beside the sac dead. I manually turned the sac in an incubator a few times a day until the 1st of April at which point i emptied out the contents of the sac to find mostly eggs but a few nymph 1 as well. These developed really slowly with them not moulting into nymph 2 until the 25th of April and then into slings on the 6th of June.

The next sac wasn't until the 7th of March when i found my H. maculata had made a sac on her cork bark. This resulted in over 100 slings the first of which moulted out on the 2nd of May.

On the 10th of March, 3 days after the maculata sac was made, my female Brachypelma schroederi dropped a sac. Unfortunately she never really bothered to roll it and so on the 2nd of April i removed it to find that the sac had become stuck together and and on one side it had completely dried out. After at least an hour and a half i managed to seperate quite a few of the good looking eggs and get them on an incubator. The next day i found my first nymph 1 and over the next couple of days there was a total of 11 eggs that managed to get to nymph 1 with the rest of the eggs going black. On the 22nd of April the first of 3 nymph 1 moulted into nymph 2 with the rest dying. Unfortunately one of the nymph 2 died soon after moulting leaving me with only 2 nymph 2 which moulted into slings on the 31st of May and the 2nd of June.

The next up and also the next failure was on the 31st of March when one of my Cyriocosmus perezmilesi females dropped a sac. This female had been mated the year before and dropped a sac a few months later only to eat the sac the next day. This sac didn't fair much better as it was eaten approximately 2 weeks after being laid.

The next sac didn't do very well either. On the 10th of April my Psalmopoeus irminia female dropped a sac which she seemed to abandon on the 25th. I removed the sac the next day and incubated the eggs. On the 3rd of May i found a few nymph 1 and after a few more days i ended up with 13 in total. Only 4 made it to nymph 2 and then on the 21st of May the tape around the sides of the incubator (a plastic cricket tub with nylon over it) came away and water leaked out everywhere causing the undeveloped eggs and nymphs to go mouldy. Only one nymph 2 survived and moulted into a spiderling on the 9th of June.

Finally on the 21st of May i managed to get my 1st pokie sac when my subfusca female strangely decided to drop a sac instead of moulting. I removed the sac, which was wet and black on one side, from the female on the 11th of June and placed the contents on an incubator. On the 14th of June the eggs started moulting into nymph 1 as as of now i have around 55-60 nymph 1.

So that has been my breeding year so far. Nothing particularly special but enough to keep me amused and fairly busy.
    Put your arms around me
    Fiddly digits, itchy britches
    I love you all

Ooo didnt know about the Pokie sac congrats Craig

Comment

Nice one Craig, we are both neck and neck at 8 each at the minute then.
      spider woman at Wilkinsons

Comment

Well done Craig

My Collection:

Comment

Originally posted by lynn mawdesley View Post
          Ooo didnt know about the Pokie sac congrats Craig
          Cheers i think i posted it on arachnophiles somewhere

Originally posted by mary walters View Post
          Nice one Craig, we are both neck and neck at 8 each at the minute then.
          Well there is this -

Harpactira sp. marksi mated on the 10th June

Hammock style egg sac made on the 22nd of June

I only expect maybe 1 more sac after this one this year as i don't have much mated so i'm sure you will overtake me soon enough Mary.

Originally posted by Phil Rea View Post
          Well done Craig
          Cheers Phil
          Put your arms around me
          I love you all

Comment

Nice one Craig, lovely spider.

I dunno if I have sac 9, my mated marshalli is in her tube and hasn't come out for weeks now, will know for sure when lil uns come out I suppose lol.

I have a few more on the boil too, some mated, some waiting for Trev to mate, some hoping for second sacs, or even 3rd.

Comment

Just found my other Yamia sp. Koh Samui female with a sac tonight. This one was mated the same time as the other female that dropped a sac in February.

Put your arms around me
              I love you all

Comment

Woop well done Craig

Comment

She took her time.

Comment

Just found my H. villosella sealed in her burrow with a sac. I tried mating her with my male a few times but he kept doing a runner everytime she moved near him so i put both his and her tub into a clear plastic shoebox and left them to it for the last few weeks. I never actually got to see them mate but quite often i would see them sitting on top of each other in the web between both tubs.

Put your arms around me
                    I love you all

Comment

Good luck with it Craig

My Collection:

Comment

Tis a very fertile time in your house Craig *watch out Layla* lol congrats mate

Comment

Cheers. So far all i have managed from villosella are 2 infertile sacs and 2 eaten sacs so it would be nice if it went right this time.

Originally posted by lynn mawdesley View Post
                          Tis a very fertile time in your house Craig *watch out Layla* lol congrats mate
                          Hopefully the fertility is just confined to the spiders otherwise someone will be taking a tumble down the stairs.
                          Put your arms around me
                          I love you all

Comment

Well the villosella sac lasted 6 days before it was munched so thats now 5 sacs and 5 failures with this species. At least I'm consistent.
                            Fortunately it's not all bad as the subfusca nymphs started moulting into nymph 2 on the 3rd and i think there was only 2 that didn't make it.

I removed the Harpactira sp. marksi sac today and found lots of nymph 1 inside and not a single bad egg either. At a rough guestimate i would say there is around 100 - 120 of the little buggers.

Noticed this little freak amongst them as well

I wonder if it will turn out to be a double abdomen jobby if it survives. I had one like this in the fimbriatus sac but unfortunately it never made it to nymph 2.
                            Put your arms around me
                            I love you all

Comment

You seem to have the same sort of luck as me with the villosella Craig

The sp. 'marksi' are looking good though as are the subfusca

My Collection:

Comment

Working...
                              X